New Phone Line Will Save You Time at Health Center

By BEN DOHAN

MICHAEL BORENSTEIN/THE MIDDLEBURY CAMPUS
Parton Health Center recently established a new phone line for students.

Parton Health Center has added a triage phone line which will enable students to schedule appointments with nurse practitioners and physicians without having to first go there to be evaluated by a nurse. 

President Laurie L. Patton announced the development in an all-school email on the first day of classes.

Although it has always been possible to talk to a nurse over the phone, a nurse will now be dedicated to the triage phone line.

Mark Peluso, director of health services, said the system should streamline operations, which will likely result in students spending less time at Parton. He hopes the triage line will enable students to get appropriate care as quickly as possible.

Peluso cited the establishment of the phone line as a response to student feedback. 

“Some students expressed frustration with having to visit Parton for a nurse evaluation, only to have to come back later that day to see a nurse practitioner for their complaint,” Peluso said.  “When volume was high, they were scheduled for the next available appointment that day or early the following day.”

The triage system will not change how students interact with Parton when they walk in for an appointment, but is another way for them to receive medical attention. Students can still call to make appointments with nurses or walk in to see a nurse.

Students seemed to welcome the news of the new phone line.

“I can make an appointment and miss fewer classes,” Alyssa Crogan ’20.5 said. 

“That’s great,” Taite Shomo ’20.5 said. “There have been times when I’ve gone in and seen a nurse for something that needs immediate treatment and then had to go to urgent care because I couldn’t see a doctor that day.”

The triage system will be in place only for the health services part of Parton, and will not affect how the counseling department operates. Appointments for counseling can be made online, a feature not available for health services.

To make an appointment through the new triage line, call 802-443-3290.

About the Photographer
MICHAEL BORENSTEIN, Chief Photo Editor

Michael Borenstein ’19 is Chief Photo Editor.

He has been with the photos team since his freshman fall and has served as an editor since the Spring of 2016.

Michael is majoring in Economics with a minor in Computer Science and Classics. He completed a study abroad program last fall at University College London.

This past summer, Michael interned at Grant Thornton as a healthcare consultant, where he assisted in an IT modernization project for the largest public hospital in New Jersey. In the summer of 2017, he worked as an intern at Merrill Lynch Wealth Management.

In addition to his role with The Campus, Michael has served as a grader for the Computer Science Department and is currently working with friends to create Middlebury’s first Blockchain club.