Security Report Reveals Increase in Some Reported Crimes

The crime statistics released in the college’s annual security and fire safety report reveals a sharp increase in incidences of rape, stalking and dating violence and a continued decline in discipline for liquor law violations compared to last year’s numbers.

The latest report, which was released on Oct. 1, covers incidents at the college campus, Bread Loaf and the Middlebury Language Schools. The report cannot tally crimes that go unreported and therefore does not represent the total number of crimes committed on campus. 

The report includes statistics from the past three years. Looking specifically at the college campus and its immediate vicinity, the fluctuations in several of these crime categories are as follows.

There has been a steady decline in disciplinary referrals issued for liquor law violations. The number fell from 356 referrals in 2015 to 316 in 2016 and 233 in 2017. Reports of aggravated assault also declined from one in 2015 and 2016 to zero in 2017. 

Reported rapes rose to 19 in 2017 from eight in 2016. The eight in 2016 marked a significant drop from from 21 in 2015. 

Increases in reported crimes have occurred in several categories. In 2017 two hate crimes were reported, while in 2015 and 2016 there were zero reports. Reports of dating violence have risen from five in 2015 to 11 in 2017. Reports of stalking have increased from four in 2015 to 11 in 2017. Reports of fondling have increased from one in 2015 to six in 2017. 

There was one report of arson in 2015, zero in 2016 and one in 2017.

The 129-page document also includes contact information for emergency situations, on-campus resources and health and advocacy services, including the student-led organization MiddSafe, which provides a 24-hour hotline run by student advocates.

Acting as a resource manual for students, the report also details procedures that can guide students through difficult situations. It includes policies, procedures, safety practices and fire systems at the college’s campus.

“I think it’s important to have these resources handy because we have a bigger sense of security,” Mariana Zamorano ’22 said.

“You never know when you’re going to be faced with certain situations,” Max Rye ’20 added. “It definitely doesn’t hurt to have access to these resources.”

Statistics provided in the reports are collected by the Middlebury College Department of Public Safety in accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act. The Clery Act, passed into law in 1990, requires that all colleges and universities receiving federal funding share information about crime on campus.

ARIADNE WILL

Ariadne Will ’22 is a local editor for the Campus.

She has previously served as a staff writer, where she covered topics  ranging from Middlebury’s Town Meeting to the College’s dance  performances.

Will also works for her hometown newspaper, the Daily Sitka Sentinel,  where she covers tourism and the Sitka Planning Commission.

She is studying English and American literature with a minor in gender, sexuality and feminist studies.