Chittenden Brook Hut to Open in December for Year-Round Use

By LUKE KANG

YESTERMORROW DESIGN/BUILD SCHOOL INSTAGRAM
The new hut mid-construction in Brandon.

Situated in the isolated depths of the Green Mountain’s beautiful hardwood forests, a newly constructed hut at Chittenden Brook, near Brandon, serves as the fifth structure in a network of recreational cabins coordinated by the nonprofit Vermont Hut Association. The structure, once completed, will be open for year-round use and will feature a common room, a kitchen, a reading nook, as well as bunks and mattresses for up to 10 guests. The construction of the Chittenden Brook Hut, represents an expansion of the web of outdoor tourism opportunities in the Green Mountain National Forest. Reservations can be made online with rates starting at $110 per weekday night and $155 per weekend or holiday night.

With an opening date set for Dec. 1, the Chittenden Brook Hut marks the Vermont Hut Association’s first self-owned operation. 

“I think Vermonters were really ready for this to happen,” said RJ Thompson, executive director of the Vermont Hut Association. He expressed his gratitude toward the cooperation with Green Mountain National Forest land managers and the students and staff at the Yestermorrow Design/Build School, who designed and constructed the cabin. 

“The Vermont Hut Association approached us not too long before the start of the program in 2017 about doing the project,” explained Chrissy Bellmayer, manager of student services for Yestermorrow Design/Build School. Bellmayer admitted that although it was a bit of a scramble, the Vermont Hut Association was eventually able to bring them on as a client. 

“Things just fell into place at the right time,” Thompson said. “We wanted to have a project started … and they were looking for a client. We knew they’d already done great works for other clients in and out of state, and it just made sense.” 

He added that partnering with them fit with the community vibe that huts naturally offer and extended it to the construction process as well. For Vermonters, this sense of community drives outdoor recreation, and is a crucial part of the experience. 

“These outdoor communities help people feel comfortable in perhaps otherwise daunting and lonely places,” said Vermont local Adam Blachly ’21. 

“When I was hiking the Long Trail this summer, I was so thankful for the wonderful trail community I was a part of,” said Blachly. “I met so many interesting people and learned so many fascinating things, not only about how the outdoors functions as a space in Vermont, but also about the sustainability of an outdoor community and how it lends itself to environmental awareness.” 

Located just 1.8 miles off of the Brandon Gap Backcountry zone, the Chittenden Brook hut resides on the intersection of a variety of recreational opportunities. 

“People will be able to ski [the backcountry] all day, then skin (or ski uphill) back up, then descend down the Chittenden Brook trail right back to the hut,” Thompson said, noting that the same cross-country trail that passes through the campsite will double as a great spot for hiking in the summer. 

Hikers can also access the Long Trail from the Chittenden Brook trails. “It’s really exciting to think about having the potential for all these great experiences right outside the door,” said Thompson. 

But for Thompson and the Vermont Hut Association, the Chittenden Brook hut is only the beginning of a local network. 

“You’ll start to see in the coming years more partnerships with individuals in Vermont that do have an existing cabin, or those that have been scratching their heads about building a small yurt or tavern on their property,” he said. “Now that we’re proving that that concept can be successful, I hope we can see if we can help that make that happen all across the state.”

More information about the new hut can be found at: www.vermonthuts.org/huts/chittenden-brook-hut/.