Middlebury Reacts to Red Sox World Series Victory

<span class="photocreditinline">COURTESY PHOTO</span><br />The Boston Red Sox beat the Los Angeles Dodgers for their ninth World Series win on Oct. 28. Middlebury students celebrated the win by sporting Red Sox gear and exchanging high fives the next day.
COURTESY PHOTO
The Boston Red Sox beat the Los Angeles Dodgers for their ninth World Series win on Oct. 28. Middlebury students celebrated the win by sporting Red Sox gear and exchanging high fives the next day.

Boston has another sports title to add to its collection. On Oct. 28, Chris Sale blew a slider past a flailing Manny Machado to win the 2018 World Series for the Boston Red Sox. It was a fitting end to a dominant season, and many fans agree that this very well could be the best Red Sox team of all -ime. Of course, since Middlebury is located deep in Red Sox Nation, there was a palpable excitement running through campus as the playoffs progressed.

In the days following the victory, students wearing Red Sox gear (of whom there was no shortage) would sometimes let out a cheer and traded high-fives as they passed each other. The fact that this is the fourth title that Middlebury students can remember in their lifetimes has not lessened student fans’ joy. Rather, the dynastic run seems to enhance the spectacle. Corinne McGillicuddy ’19 recalled her memories of earlier teams fondly. “I was probably the biggest Red Sox fan in the world in 2007, which was when Alex Cora played for the Red Sox. And he’s now the manager and it was his first year. And I thought it was extremely cool that he was able to pull in a victory [in 2018] … it meant a lot to me,” she said. Indeed, Cora, once a utility player unknown by most Red Sox fans, has now earned the adoration of many Middlebury students with his brilliant managing. 

However, Middlebury’s geographically diverse student body brings many opposing fans to campus as well, and many Yankees, Astros and Dodgers fans were disappointed as they watched the Red Sox knock their teams out with a balanced and relentless attack. Astros fans were especially shocked by their team’s defeat in five games, as most analysts picked them to beat the Red Sox handily due to their strong pitching staff and offense. Jenali Mehta ’22, a resident of Houston, knew the disappointment firsthand. “I was back home for [the ALCS] and as soon as they started my entire family was hooked to the TV. Lots of tears and screaming when they lost,” Mehta said.

Meanwhile, McGillicuddy had something to say for anyone who underestimated the Red Sox: “I don’t know why anyone was surprised that they won because they were around 20 games ahead of any other team.” The Red Sox’s 108 regular-season wins were the most by a team in 17 years, and they easily clinched the division and playoff home field advantage by mid-September. Even so, many were quick to doubt the strength of the bullpen, the bottom of the lineup, and the playoff abilities of the starting rotation. Every concern would prove unfounded as the Sox rolled to their ninth title in franchise history.

The pain for opposing fans wasn’t limited to those whose teams were eliminated in the playoffs, as the Red Sox’s success caused plenty of suffering amongst fans of AL East rivals. The Rays, Blue Jays and Orioles were mere afterthoughts, and any fans on campus could only watch the Red Sox with jealousy. Nash Goldman ’22, an Orioles fan, said after the series, “I’m happy for them, but I’m also sad that my team sucks.” 

His suffering is understandable, as the Orioles finished 61 games behind the Red Sox, the largest distance between a first and last-place team since 1942, and his roommate is a vocal Red Sox fan. It seems that many others like Nash will be in a similar predicament as long as the Red Sox maintain their reign as champions.