Women’s Hockey Anticipates Intensity Against Pioneers

With a mixed season of clutching wins and losses, the team continues to improve each game

By BRIANNA LIPP

BENJY RENTON
Captain Jenna Marotta ’19 recieved all-tournament honors during the Panther-Cardinal Classic.

The Middlebury women’s hockey team participated in the Panther-Cardinal Classic on Nov. 24 and 25, but fell to the fifth-ranked Adrian College Bulldogs 4-1 in the championship game. The Panthers got off to a fast start with many early chances testing Adrian goalie Katie Turner. With 7:28 remaining in the first period, Middlebury got on the board with a goal from junior Anna Zumwinkle, who was assisted by sophomores Meghan Keating and Madie Leidt. Leidt even managed to ring a shot off the crossbar from the left faceoff dot with a few minutes remaining, almost doubling Middlebury’s lead. 

In the second period, Adrian scored with 7:43 remaining as Maggie Mitter slotted a rebound behind sophomore goalie Anna Goldstein. Adrian added three more in the last period, pulling ahead of the Panthers. Bulldog skaters Tory Harshman, Brianna Buchanan and Hannah Dalrymple set up for an even-strength, power play and empty net goal, respectively. Goldstein finished with 23 saves, and the Bulldogs led shots 27-17. Zumwinkle and senior captain Jenna Marotta received all-tournament honors.

The Panthers continued NESCAC play this weekend on the road in New London, Connecticut, where they squared off for a doubleheader against Connecticut College. In Friday’s game, Middlebury handed the Camels their first loss of the season, besting them in a 3-0 shutout. During the first period, the Panthers killed off a two-man disadvantage, surviving a 5-on-3 for more than a minute. While the period ended with shots 7-6 in Middlebury’s favor, the scoreboard was still empty. Early in the second period, Leidt started off what would become a three-point night with a goal assisted by sophomore Ellie Barney. She also scored in the third frame, netting from the high slot after receiving the puck from Marotta and skating coast to coast. First-year Jenna Letterie added the insurance goal on the power play with just over eight minutes remaining after cleaning up a rebound from Leidt’s initial shot. Junior goaltender Lin Han earned her first shutout of the season, stopping all 25 shots that came her way.

At Saturday’s rematch, Middlebury’s conference record improved to 3-0-1 (3-1-2 overall) in a 1-1 tie. The first period was dominated by Panther play, when Middlebury outshot its opponents 12-4. The first goal, however, came with 4:45 remaining in the second period, as Letterie netted during the power play off assists from Marotta and Leidt. The Camels equalized in the third period when Jordan Cross sent a redirected puck past Goldstein. Minutes later, they thought they had the go-ahead goal, but the referees ruled goaltender interference. The game ultimately ended with a 1-1 tie and a slim advantage to Connecticut College on shots (28-26).

Next week, the Panthers will face the Utica College Pioneers, who are coming off the best start in their program’s history and currently boast a 9-1 record. The Pioneers’ first loss of the season came in their last game, and they are anticipated to be a tough match for Middlebury.

About the Photographer
BENJY RENTON, Senior Sports Editor

Benjy Renton ‘21 is a Sports Editor.
He has previously served as arts and sciences editor, features editor and a staff writer.
Renton’s academic...