Tuesday, Mar 19, 2024

Varsha Vijayakumar Elected SGA President

Varsha Vijayakumar ’20 was elected president of the Student Government Association (SGA) for the 20192020 academic year on Friday, April 19th. She received 60 percent of the vote (611 votes).

The number of students voting in the election dropped from 1,686 last spring to 1,026 this spring, bringing voter turnout to 36.81%.

Joel Machado ’22 came in second place with 25% of the vote (253). John Gosselin ’20, the current co-chair of Community Council, came in third place with 15 percent of the vote (162).

Roni Lezama ’22 was elected the co-chair of Community Council for the full 20192020 academic year. Lezama ran uncontested.

Six other races were also uncontested. The race for fall Brainerd senator was vacant.

The Campus will publish a more detailed report in the April 25 issue of the paper.

PORTER BOWMAN

Porter Bowman ’21.5 is the Senior Opinions Editor.

He previously served as the Correspondent to the Student Government  Association (SGA) and a Staff Writer for the News and Local sections.

Bowman is pursuing an International Politics and Economics major and a History minor.

During the summer of 2020, Bowman started a podcast called “Why Not  U.S.?” where he interviewed young people in their 20s serving in  political office across the country.

He also worked as a producer and researcher for “Trickeration,” an  investigative sports podcast from iHeartMedia hosted by Campus alum Matt  Waxman ’01.5.

When not watching the West Wing or finishing crossword puzzles,  Bowman plays on the Middlebury varsity golf team alongside basketball,  club tennis, and intramural volleyball.

He lost on Teen Jeopardy! in November 2016.