The Student Newspaper at Middlebury College

Middlebury Campus

Women's Soccer

By Middlebury Campus

Author: James Kerrigan

Head Coach: Peter Kim
Captains: Kim Kennedy ’08, Elise Tarbi ’08
Save the Date: Sept. 29 vs. Colby. Middlebury looks to avenge its 2-1 loss from last season.
Get it Stat: .82 – 2006 goals against average for returning keeper Adele Plunkett ’09.

After reaching the NCAA tournament for the fourth time and tying an all-time high of 15 wins in 2006, the Panthers of ’07 have some big shoes to fill. But co-captain’s Kennedy and Tarbi are confident last year’s success can be duplicated with a healthy dose of hard work.

This optimism is well founded. Last season’s scoring leader Nora Tomlinson-Weintraub ’10, who finished with nine goals and six assists is back and will be threatening defenses and goalies all over New England. And Adele Plunkett ’09 will return to serve as one of the league’s top goalies.

The women are looking to break history by becoming the first team in NESCAC history to repeat as league champions or the first team to win three championships overall.

2007 will be a year to rebuild the team dynamic after losing several key players to graduation including three of the top five scorers, but by no means will this come at the expense of any wins. Several impact players will be returning to the pitch with a year of experience under their shin guards and with the strong senior leadership on defense, there is no reason the squad can not pick up from where they left off at the end of last season.

Relentless off-season training, coupled with solid growth as a team during preseason indicates that the women should be reaching mid season form in no time. “We worked on a fast-paced, attacking style of play,” said Coach Kim. “We want the ball traveling very fast and we have players who are technical enough to maintain a high speed of play.”

This speed was evident in the women’s first game of the season as they crushed the Connecticut College Camels 8-1.