Sports Briefs — 12.03.09

Drolet ’12 earns NESCAC player of the week honors

Following an impressive showing against some of the best teams in the nation at the PrimeLink Great Northern Shootout at Norwich, men’s hockey forward Martin Drolet ’12 was named NESCAC player of the week on Monday. The sophomore, who started his season with both a goal and assist in the Panthers’ 5-3 victory over the Connecticut College Camels, played a part in six of the eight Panther goals tallied in tournament play last weekend.

The Quebec native, who led the Panthers last season with 19 goals and was second only to former teammate Jamie McKenna ’09 in terms of total points, with 33, has resumed his characteristically prolific play early in the season.

The forward’s presence was less evident in the team’s first game, tallying an assist in the Panther’s disappointing loss to third-ranked Plattsburgh State last Friday, but made up for a missable performance with two goals and three assists in the squad’s dominating 7-3 win over Wisconsin-Stout the following day.

After last weekend’s play Drolet has reclaimed his place at the top, leading the team with eight points total. With three goals, he ranks second on the team behind fellow forward Mathieu Dubuc ’13, and with five assists he leads the squad at this point in the season.

As results have already proved, Drolet has avoided any sophomore slump, making a name for himself in the conference early on in regular season play. Expect him to continue playing at a high level, matching, if not surpassing, his rookie success.

Jane Handel ’12 brings home postseason awards

Recognized earlier in the season as a NESCAC player of the week, women’s volleyball player Jane Handel ’12 has again earned conference recognition in the postseason.

The outside hitter has amassed quite a collection of accolades in her Panther career, being named NESCAC rookie of the year and American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) New England rookie of the year last season, as well as earning a place on the all-NESCAC second team and an honorable mention on the 2008 AVCA all-American list.

This season, Handel has been named to the first team all-NESCAC and the New England Women’s Volleyball Association second team. For the second consecutive season she was honored as an AVCA honorable mention all-American, leading the Panthers to one of their more successful seasons in recent memory, finishing 20-6 and earning their 16th straight trip to NESCAC tournament play.

The sophomore quickly climbed record boards this year, holding the third-place record for most kills in a single season with 346 and second-place record for all time kills per game with 3.6, placing her fifth in the NESCAC this season on the kills/game list. Averaging .45 service aces per game, Handel was an important asset offensively for the Panthers, and stood out defensively as well, averaging 2.98 digs/game and finishing the year with 39 blocks.

Truly one of the Panthers’ most valuable players, her prolific play throughout the season is certainly worthy of such profuse praise and the team is undoubtedly grateful to have such a kep player returning for two more exciting years.