College Hosts Alumni Conference at Bread Loaf

This weekend the Middlebury College Alumni Association (MCAA) hosted the 36th Alumni Leadership Conference at the Bread Loaf Inn, an event that provided alumni volunteers with an opportunity to reconnect with the college community and to learn about recent campus changes. In an interview with the Campus, MCAA board members urged students to reach out to alumni for job opportunities and career advice.

The conference included planning sessions with MCAA members, as well as presentations by Dean of the College Shirley Collado and President of the College Ronald D. Liebowitz. While the MCAA hosted the weekend, attendees included members of the Annual Fund Executive Committee as well as many college alumni.

In an interview, MCAA President Suzanne Daley ’96.5, MCAA Vice President Robert Sideli ’77 P’08 P’13 and former MCAA President Zach Borque ’01 emphasized the importance of the relationship between the Alumni Association and the College.

“We want alumni to ask for lots of things, big or little, that we can help you with – moving to a city, getting a job – we’re there to help,” Daley said. “We want to improve the visibility of the MCAA so that alumni around the world understand that their relationship with the College doesn’t need to end upon graduation.”

Daley further explained that the College should seek to reach out to alumni with even greater interest now, given the challenging economic climate.

“With the recession, that’s where alums stepped up … the recession was an impetus for alumni to say ‘How can I help a fellow Midd alum?’” she said.

The MCAA is comprised of a board of directors who work directly with college administrators, and relies on a team of volunteers drawn from the expansive pool of undergraduate alumni, graduates and attendees of the Bread Loaf School of English, Language Schools and Bread Loaf Writers Conference.

This volunteer team provides significant support for the College. Last year alone, the MCAA volunteer alumni handled 5,000 admissions interviews — a significant component of the admissions process.

This group is also responsible for providing support for current students seeking internships and alumni looking for jobs. The MCAA further organizes and promotes events for alumni, such as lectures and networking functions through local chapters — all in the name of promoting connectedness between those who share the Middlebury network.

In a presentation to attendees, Liebowitz spoke of the relevance — and cost — of a Middlebury education today. The President stated that he believes that the global economy will be shaped by students who have been trained in the liberal arts, and who have had their study grounded in practical training.

To this end, Liebowitz acknowledged the importance of Education In Action programs in providing students with opportunities to supplement their theoretical education with practical experience.

When asked in an interview about the Alumni Association, Liebowitz explained, “(the) MCAA is trying to get its arms around the entire Middlebury community to increase the influence and scope of our network.”

Written by ADAM OURIEL and NATE SANS