The Middlebury Campus

The Middlebury Campus

The Middlebury Campus

Logged off
Logged off
By Jake Gaughan March 9, 2021

Besides Panopto lectures and PolicyPath surveys, one of the most drastic changes to Middlebury College life in the pandemic has...

What we watched/What we read
What we watched/What we read
March 9, 2021

The things we left behind
The things we left behind
March 9, 2021

A Year in Headlines
A Year in Headlines
March 9, 2021

Campus survey finds split opinions on the fall, widespread Covid-19 violations and mental health struggles
By Hannah Bensen and Benjy Renton January 23, 2021

Although two-thirds of students said they did not regret their Fall 2020 enrollment decision, 76% of students said their mental health was worse...

After last-minute cancellation, Febs swap Snow Bowl graduation for stadium celebration
By Catherine McLaughlin December 3, 2020
Members of the Class of 2020.5 are able to “bring febness to whatever [they] do,” as they celebrate their final moments on Middlebury’s campus and prepare to step out into the world.
RIDDIM World Dance Troupe performed two shows from a tent behind Mahaney Arts Center as audiences watched in person, online and from a projection on McCullough Lawn.
RIDDIM World Dance Troupe Zooms in on Hip-hop, Kathak, and more
By Rain Ji November 19, 2020
Audiences joined the RIDDIM dance crew for their fall end-of-semester show “RIDDIM World Dance Troupe Zooms In” on Saturday, Nov. 14.
YouPower has a whole new look this semester. Although classes used to be taught in the Freeman International Center, they’re now held outside in Ridgeline parking lot to allow for social distancing.
YouPower puts new outdoor spin on fitness classes
By Niamh Carty November 12, 2020
Read about how Middlebury's student-run spin studio has adjusted this fall in order to continue offering spin classes.
The characters engage in a discussion about the limited selection of monologues available to budding Asian American actors and the young actress is left disappointed after seeing few options for leads that she can relate to and portray. VAN BARTH
‘finally’: Production with an all-Asian cast spotlights issues of representation
By EDYTH MOLDOW November 12, 2020
“finally” turned a spotlight on the lack of Asian representation in the media and the performing arts.
George Matthews Jr. sitting at the Middlebury carillion. He has been the man behind the bells for the past 35 years.
Behind the Mead Chapel bells, carillonneur George Matthew Jr. plays for passion and protest
By Sophia McDermott-Hughes October 22, 2020
George Matthew Jr. pursued his dream and has been playing the bells in the tower of Mead Chapel since 1985. He uses his platform to promote immigrant justice, racial equality and lift student morale.
Voices for Change: Checking in with the authors of three letters published in the Campus
By Roya Touran March 10, 2021

In the wake of the Black Lives Matter (BLM) protests that spread throughout the nation last summer, many Middlebury students and organizations...

MASK OFF, MIDD: Commitment and Chill?
By Maria Kaouris March 10, 2021

I have such a spectacular talent for making a fool of myself that, when it happens, I’m hardly surprised anymore.  Take, for example, the...

Midd Missed Connections is the new Proc Crush
By Emmanuel Tamrat March 10, 2021

“what if we kissed on battel beach?” reads the bio of Middlebury Missed Connections (@middmissedconnections), the fun and light-hearted...

Uprooted
Uprooted
By Emily Ballou March 10, 2021
Middlebury’s trees and their caretaker recount a year of change and endurance
Election 2020
By Tony Sjodin March 10, 2021

Black Lives Matter and racial justice
By Abigail Chang March 10, 2021

Same storm, different boats
By Elsa Korpi March 10, 2021

XO
By Emmanuel Tamrat March 10, 2021

It’s been a tough year. After being evacuated from campus last spring, we had to finish the semester from bedrooms and dining room tables instead...

The Last Five Days
By Constance Gooding and Daleelah Saleh March 10, 2021

sex panther
What is love (at Middlebury)?
By SEX PANTHER April 22, 2020
"I reached out to a few senior friends and asked them to answer a couple questions: how they defined love at Middlebury, if there was anything they wish they had realized sooner or done differently with regard to love during college, and when they felt most loved at Middlebury. "

On March 10, 2020, Middlebury students received a piece of news that would change their lives forever: the Covid-19 pandemic, at the time still a hypothetical threat to many, posed too great of a risk to keep students at school. The campus would be evacuated in five days.

On March 10, 2021, The Middlebury Campus is reflecting on those 365 days through articles, art, essays and stories.

Treat this magazine as a time capsule — and as a commemoration — of a moment unlike any we’ve lived through before.

A Closing Note
By Bochu Ding March 10, 2021

Unprecedented. Challenging. Uncertain. These words have become staples in the past year — so prominent and ubiquitous that they have almost...

The View From Here
By Editorial Board March 10, 2021

Here we are, a year in. A lot has changed in the past year and it seems like we’ve almost achieved a certain milestone. For us, it’s been...

2020 in 100 words
2020 in 100 words
By Campus Writers March 10, 2021

We asked Campus writers to tell us about their most 2020 memories — the anecdotes that could have only happened this year — in around 100...

Which Way Home? International students navigate the pandemic world
By Sophia McDermott-Hughes March 9, 2021

When Middlebury suddenly announced it was shuttering the campus on March 10, 2020, international students were faced with a difficult decision....

New places, old faces
New places, old faces
By Sabine Poux March 9, 2021

I almost rear ended the car in front of me last week when I saw it on the back window — a “Middlebury Crew” bumper sticker. You...

America’s Normal: A Tragedy
By Max Padilla March 9, 2021

On Jan. 1, 2020, many of us rang in the new year with booze in one hand and our best friend in the other. On Jan. 9, 2020, the World...

PIA CONTRERAS BALBUENA
Direct Your Attention: Dave Chappelle isn’t joking anymore
By Owen Mason-Hill November 19, 2020

It is difficult to overstate the magnitude of comedian Dave Chappelle’s imprint on our zeitgeist. Even calling him a comedian feels like...

PIA CONTRERAS BALBUENA
Direct Your Attention: Ludovico Einaudi’s most intimate concert
By Owen Mason-Hill November 12, 2020
One day when I was scrolling through Apple Music and happened upon an album with a beautifully simplistic design that demanded my attention.
MASK OFF, MIDD: I quarantine-dated Casper the Ghost.
By Maria Kaouris October 8, 2020
MASK OFF, MIDD: Don’t let the ghosts scare you. 
Over 500 students gathered in protest at College Park last Friday.
Can you hear us now, President Patton?
By Kaila Thomas and Rodney Adams October 1, 2020

Dear President Laurie Patton,  “Black Lives Matter! Black Lives Matter! Black Lives Matter!” chant more than 500 voices approaching...

Activate Search
A Year In