Friday, Oct 18, 2024

Room Draw Proceeds With Few Hiccups

Author: Craig Szela

Room Draw 2002 went off smoothly, but still received criticism from some students.

According to Residential Systems Coordinator Mariah McKechnie '01, "Overall Room Draw went extremely well. I couldn't be more pleased with the reaction I've received from students to the new system." Although not an accurate reflection of all student sentiments, she said she felt that Room Draw ran with fewer problems than ever before.

Most student complaints concerned block draw. "Block draw was really stressful because everyone was there to see if they could get rooms in La Force," Kristin Watson '03 stated in reference to the new Ross Commons dormitory.

McKechnie cited several reasons for the difficulties. "Many people did not anticipate that so many students would attempt to draw in block draw and that assigning each block would take so long," she explained.

She added, "I was on my own to set up and organize the draw due to an emergency situation." The setup took 30 minutes longer than expected, but the draw remained within its projected two-hour length.

Eric Simanek '05 commented, "The rising sophomore draw was easy. Not very many people were there." Molly Russell '05 agreed, saying "It wasn't that bad," but complained that attractive housing options were no longer available by the time number 30 was called.

David Hawkins '05 criticized the draw. "It is barbaric in these technologically advanced times," he maintained.

"I think that the whole system is out of date. It's an unfair way of doing it," he added.

When asked about a computer-based draw, McKechnie said that she has looked into it. "Any Room Draw system would have to be compatible with the Banner [administrative software] system, and we cannot be certain of that until the system is up and running, which will not be for another couple of years," said McKechnie.

According to McKechnie, substance-free draw was especially successful, although it came as an unwelcome surprise to some students that prior arrangements were required in order to draw into a substance-free room. She said that this served to weed out students looking to play both draws.

Students also voiced concerns about the commons system. Kate Merritt '04 said, "If there is going to be a commons system, they should make sure there is an even amount of housing for each of the classes." The lack of housing in commons was due in part to the large attendance of senior block draw and the subsequent decreased availability of blocked rooms, said McKechnie.While McKechnie agreed that the system was not perfect, she stated, "Overall, I have heard extremely positive reactions about Room Draw and the changes made to Room Draw."