Sunday, Sep 8, 2024

THE CALIFORNIA GIRL

Author: Meghan Michelson

In the week following Spring Break there appears to be a plethora of students who have returned to campus flaunting newly sunned skin and radiantly glowing tans from an exotic island adventure. These tan beachgoers most likely spent many arduous hours lying out in the sun in the hopes of returning to snowy Vermont with the look and bronzed hue of a summer god or goddess. Well, I have news for all of those who spent their spring breaks relaxing on sandy beaches unaware of the damaging effects of the sun.

Growing up in California, I was always reminded to apply sunscreen before spending any time outdoors, whether skiing in January or going to the beach in July. Californians, in general, tend to be alert to the fact that sun damage is a serious matter not to be taken lightly.

This West Coast awareness could be a result of an increased obsession with anti-aging products in the film and television industry or just an outcome of a typically health conscious state. In either case, it rings true, at least in my opinion, that Californians are more likely to take the crucial steps to protect their skin from the sun than those on the East Coast, who often incorrectly assume that low temperatures imply less detrimental effects of the sun.

In Vermont, I have noticed that fewer people use sunscreen generously before partaking in outdoor activities. The lifestyles of those students and residents in the Green Mountain State who spend time skiing and hiking, however, potentially open the door wide for skin cancer. Nationally, skin cancer is a severe problem. In fact, over 1.3 million people are diagnosed with skin cancer in the United States each year. In addition, the sun's UVA and UVB rays can result in wrinkles and sagging skin at a more rapid pace than nature intended.

Fortunately, skin cancer and premature aging are preventable. Although any lengthy amount of time spent directly under the sun's rays will have long term effects on the skin, there is no reason for every spring breaker to avoid the beach entirely due to fear of skin cancer or wrinkles. Minimizing time spent in the sun, especially during 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., wearing protective clothing and most importantly, frequently applying ample amounts of high Sun Protection Factor (SPF) sunscreen are all essential in limiting the sun's negative impacts on the skin.

Those who seek tanned skin to enhance their current appearance should keep in mind that the sun's long term effects on the skin do not lend themselves to beautiful faces forever.

Wrinkles, sagging and dark and hardened skin are all common consequences for a lifelong tanner, who skipped out on sunscreen in exchange for a deeper tan.

Although the sun's ultraviolet rays are capable of activating the production of vitamin D, killing certain germs and lifting moods, more often than not, an abundance of time spent in the harsh sun is not recommended for anyone interested in preserving the quality of their skin and saving themselves from skin cancers like melanoma.

I hate to put a damper on Spring Break vacations whose success was measured by the darkness of one's tan, however, I feel it is my responsibility, coming from California, to educate those otherwise oblivious to the sun's lethal rays.

For those who missed out on the opportunity to fry their skin on white, sandy beaches over Spring Break, keep in mind that there is always sunless tanner, a safe and seemingly similar replacement to a natural tan.

Trust me, 30 years from now you'll be thanking yourself for opting for the slightly orange tan in a bottle.

For those spring breakers who did make the mistake of burning yourselves to golden crisps, try some aloe vera to relieve the pain, itching and peeling, and next time you are considering hitting the beach for hours of sunscreen free tanning, listen to the California Girl.