Friday, Oct 18, 2024

Recognition of Black History Month at Middlebury College

Author: Kiki Taylor

Dear Editor:

This article reflects an accurate version of the Black History Month events that took place here at Middlebury on both Feb. 15 and 23. Due to inappropriate usage of this article by The Middlebury Campus (which failed to seek the permission of the writer before taking whole paragraphs from her article in order to create their own in the Feb. 26 issue), it is necessary to include the following facts to make the Middlebury College community aware of how important it is to both understand and include black history. Members of the minority community deserve proper recognition of their cultural events and refuse to continuously accept unexcused errors made by The Campus or any other majority-led student/faculty organization. Please keep in mind that these comments are directed only towards those persons that have done wrong. Enjoy the original version!

Saturday, Feb. 15 marked a very special day for a number of students, faculty, and staff at Middlebury College, and although the event was very well attended, it failed to receive proper coverage in last week's edition of The Middlebury Campus, Feb. 19, 2003. Despite the variety of workshops held, the warm cultural lunch provided by catering services, and the powerful anthems performed by both Francois Clemmons and Mchakamchaka, the event went unrecognized by the College's very own newspaper. This of course is not the first time a student of color organizational event has been denied a place in The Campus, but this type of "mistake" really should no longer continue to go unnoticed. Black History Month is simply one out of many celebrations of the successes and achievements of leaders of color all over the world, and therefore deserves the respect of both The Campus and the entire Middlebury College community. That said, I thank The Campus for the excellent photo of Professor William Nash on page four of the paper, but I wonder how the paragraph describing his participation in the "Workshop Series" somehow disappeared.
A great photo in the middle of nowhere, and no connection made to African American Alliance's (AAA) Black History Month Celebration Part I. Hmm. It is possible that maybe the photographer lacked the necessary details to expand upon the photo, so please allow me to provide a better account of Saturday's layout.
The morning opened with a welcome by senior Juan PeÒa in Bicentennial Hall 104 and the introduction of Visiting Faculty Diversity Scholar-in-Residence, Vermonja Alston. Alston led the first interactive workshop titled "Tropical Memories of Romantic Origins: Twentieth-Century African American Rites of Passage through the Caribbean," where she examined interpretations made by U.S. blacks on the representation of blacks in the Caribbean.
Directly following Alston, junior Athenia Fischer introduced Associate Professor of American Literature and Civilization, William R. Nash, and he played a few popular hits from the 60s like "My Girl" and "Inner City Blues" in his workshop titled "From Motown to Stax: The Evolution of Black Popular Music Aesthetics in the 1960s". A little after noon, Nash ended his workshop and students, faculty and staff begin to congregate upstairs in The Great Hall in order to prepare for the luncheon and welcome ceremony organized by both senior Kiki Taylor and Assistant in Academic Administration, Jessa Karki. During the luncheon, Associate Chaplain Rabbi Ira Schiffer gave the invocation with much passion and spirit, Twilight Artist in Residence Francois Clemmons (along with Dick Forman) performed "Lift Every Voice and Sing", and Mchakamchaka sang "Nkosi Sikeleli Afrika". Workshop leaders (as well participants) were then presented with certificates to honor their involvement in the Black History Month Celebration and Taylor explained the meaning of the month itself. In the second half of the day, first year Natlie Fisher introduced Associate Professor of History William B. Hart and he led an intense workshop titled "Higher Education and Affirmative Action in the 21st Century." Hart created a room full of discussion when he asked whether or not "set asides" and other forms of "preferential treatment" are indeed "constitutional." Sophomore Andy Rossmeissl (introduced by junior Crystal Belle) finished off the "Workshop Series" by leading an engaging conversation on "Hip-Hop: An Interactive History." Rossmeissl demonstrated how rap, graffiti, break-dance, and spoken word all make up hip-hop culture.
Judging from the description above, it would appear as though a lot of hard work went in to organizing this day, and as President of African American Alliance I don't fully understand the failure of an event such as this to be left out of The Campus.
For those that don't know, African American Alliance (among many other cultural and diversity organizations on campus) plans our events in order to reach out to the College community and educate everyone on issues affecting our people and our culture. Is that not what diversity is all about? Black History Month, specifically, should not just be co-sponsored by AAA, UMOJA, PCSO, OID, and PALANA, but also by a great selection of departments on campus. Black leaders are musicians, dancers, historians, politicians, athletes, artists, writers and much, much more. Also, black leaders are not only a part of African, African American or Caribbean organizations. Many students find it very disappointing that there always exists some problem with The Campus when reporting cultural events-either an incorrect name or statement, or a failure to acknowledge that particular event accurately. By the way, I loved "Vagina Monologues," but Black History Month Celebration was just as magnificent a performance. The Campus should know that negative events are not the only events that deserve front-page status.
What about Black History Month Celebration Part II "BHC Coffee House" held this past Sunday, Feb. 23rd in The Gamut Room, where Fischer, Belle and junior Anais Mitchell all preformed beautiful pieces? During the performances, students enjoyed each other's company, listened to mellow tunes by senior DJ Plasma -- Jason Spiegler and devoured delicious homemade Almond Red Velvet Cake, Double Chocolate Fudge Cake, Sweet Potato Pie, and Apple Cinnamon Pie prepared by pastry chefs Kiki and Jessa. Earlier in the day, Dr. Brenda Dixon-Gottschild led a body movement workshop titled "Stripping the Emperor: Africanisms in American Performance". Gottschild enlighted Lecturer in Dance Penny Campbell's class on the appreciation of differences in dance and the meaning of syncretism in cultural dance forms.
These are just tidbits of a very successful black history month and not at all a full summary of both day's events, but a small recognition is better than nothing. Many thanks to all that joined us in the celebration of this month and to African American Alliance Executive Board (sophomore Alexis Zain, senior Kudzai Zvoma, and Juan) for constant dedication. Hopefully in future years, more departments outside the Center for Campus Activities, and those already mentioned above, will contribute to making Black History Month very special to all. Black History is a huge part of American, African and Caribbean History. Please don't forget that! African American Alliance will be holding it's annual COMEDY JAM Saturday, March 15, 2003 in McCullough, and we would love to hear about our show in The Campus.

Kiki Taylor, a senior from Rye, New York, is the President of the African American Alliance.