Friday, Oct 18, 2024

Kris Sukanich Unmasks His Musical Mission Junior Musician Pens and Strums Easy Listening Tunes

Author: Chris Grosso

The music scene at Middlebury College, by virtue of its small size, is highly visible on campus. The scene becomes even more noticeable when a talented performing artist lives right next door. As a neighbor, one gets to observe the creative process in full swing and have the daily privilege of listening to exceptional music live.

When I found out that The Middlebury Campus spotlights the College's leading student artists, I jumped at the opportunity to catch-up with my good friend and former Gifford suitemate.

A polite, humble guy from Pittsburgh, Kris Sukanich '05 has amassed much respect as a performer since his arrival at the College in Sept. 2001. In addition to a very skilled musician, singer and songwriter, Sukanich is also the musical director of the successful a cappella group Stuck in the Middle.

Last week I got to chat with him and learn about his passion for music.

Campus: When did you first get interested in music?

Kris Sukanich: I started taking piano lessons around the age of three or four. I took lessons for about 10years. As I got older, I wasn't really enjoying them as much. I wasn't interested in the classical music that I was playing. So I worked out a deal with my mom. She said that I could stop taking piano lessons if I took lessons on a different instrument. I switched to the guitar at the age of 13. I started to take guitar lessons, but that was kind of on-and-off for a year or two.

Campus: Where did you learn to play if the lessons didn't work out?

K.S.: With the guitar, I definitely did a lot more on my own. I picked up stuff from friends and other performers in the beginning. After I learned the chords, I started to come up with stuff on my own.

Campus: So, how would you describe your music?

K.S.: It's kind of like easy listening, but sometimes it will have a pop-rock kind of feel to it. It is mainly acoustic stuff. I don't really have full-band in mind when I compose.

Campus: Who has influenced this easy-listening style?

K.S.: I would say Duncan Sheik. I respect him as a songwriter and musician. And I really like the mood of his songs. They are a little more laid back, a little softer than a lot of the pop stuff that's out there. But he also does pop music well, "Barely Breathing," for example.

Campus: His classic song?

K.S.: That's actually the song that got me started on the guitar.

Campus: I know you write a lot of your own music and lyrics. Where do you draw inspiration from when you're composing?

K.S.: I do a lot of messing around on the guitar, and I'll come up with chords that I'll put together and form into a song. I'll make up a verse part and a chorus part and try to fit them together. It just doesn't seem complete if it's just the guitar, so I like to have another element added to it. I like having vocals on top of the music because either one by themselves doesn't really do much for me.

Campus: Your lyrics seem very personal.

K.S.: Yeah, I say what I am feeling. It is kind of a therapeutic sort of thing. I write them down for rhythmic and melodic purposes.

Campus: I know you are quite involved in Middlebury's music scene. How did you get into performing?

K.S.: It's kind of funny. In my senior year of high school, this performing arts group on campus held the first battle of the bands concert or competition. Me and a bunch of friends got together and decided we wanted to play. We actually ended up winning. I was in two of the three final bands because I was playing in another band, too.

Campus: So you had a two in three chance of winning. You seem very comfortable on stage and you possess the qualities of an entertainer. What is your approach when you're performing in front of an audience?

K.S.: Performing a lot definitely has helped me get accustomed to being on stage. I physically get nervous, but mentally I'm not. I know what I'm doing - my hands play all the chords fine and everything. My only problem is trying to remember the lyrics. I get kind of nervous when I slip up on lyrics.

Campus: What is your greatest accomplishment as a musician or composer?

K.S.: I think just getting up there is my biggest accomplishment. Not having any inhibitions about performing solo on stage. I would prefer to have accompaniment, but it's tough to get enough practice time with other students. Just getting up there is the hardest part, and what I'm most grateful for is that I've gotten out there and had fun.

Campus: Kris, do you have any plans for a career in the music industry?

K.S.: Not as my profession. Part of what makes it so great is that it's a release from everything else, and it's something that I'll always have. In terms of producing music, like making a CD, I don't really foresee it, but if it does happen, that'd be great.

Campus: Well, thank you very much, Kris. Good luck with everything.

K.S.: Thanks.

Campus: Here's my last question: If you could perform with any artist in any venue, who would it be and where?

Campus: I definitely would have to say Duncan Sheik. He's influenced me a lot, and everything about him I really respect. We'd play in a small coffee shop.

Campus: Really? You don't want to perform in a big arena?

K.S.: No, I'm much more about the intimate setting.

Kris will be performing at The Grille later in the semester. You can also listen to his music at the website: http://community.middlebury.edu/~K.S.ukanic/ for a handy little preview of what our student artist of the week is all about.