Saturday, Sep 14, 2024

If We Do Not Trust Our SGA

Author: Dixie Delon

Sam Rodriguez has not adequately fulfilled his duties as president of the Student Government Association (SGA). The simple fact that my friends and I found out about the original elections this year only when we read that they were cancelled is proof enough that this administration has left the College hanging.

Whether the cabinet and president's tasks, including running elections and maintaining contact with the College population, are simple or complicated, the president and his cabinet must perform them or they should be removed.

But how should this be done, and how should we determine if the student body supports this movement? I assert that we cannot rely on polls such as the one in the Oct. 23 issue of The Middlebury Campus, which allows for no more negative a comment about the SGA than "good ideas, not much action."

Well then, perhaps there is some process outlined in the SGA Constitution. But who among us even knows what is written in that Constitution? It is not easily found on the SGA Web site, nor is it included in the Handbook.

Perhaps I am blind, or perhaps I am too frustrated to search logically for it. But why should I have to search at all? Where is this mythic document?

If someone could fish it out of wherever it is, perhaps they could tell us if there is an impeachment clause included. If so, then we must impeach the president, rather than recall him.

But if not, or if we do not trust our senate, or if our efforts are dismissed, then as a responsible student body we must no longer recognize Mr. Rodriguez and his cabinet.

I call on the responsible members of the SGA to do their duty and investigate and inform student sentiment, and then lead us in a proper course of action.