Saturday, Sep 14, 2024

Motoman Project Explodes onto National Artistic Scene

Author: Abbie Beane

"Art does not have to be restricted to stone, bronze or paint. It can utilize the materials and concepts of our times. For Michelangelo, marble was the contemporary material, and the human form was the contemporary subject of his time. If he [Michelangelo] were an artist working in the 21st century, I feel he would be creating similar art to us." - Motoman Project in a radio interview in Taos, N.M.

Okay, so, maybe this modern bunch of metal minded maniacs might have a point.

They're the artists of the Motoman Project (MMP), who also happen to be scientists on the side, welding the two disciplines together into what they see as the next logical step in contemporary art - using the materials of our time to an aesthetic and even sometimes efficient end.

What exactly do they construct? Well, heavily cloaked in engineering, fabrication and artistic skills, they come prepared to build anything from "flame throwers" to new projects, such as "The Trench Mouth" and "The Mobile Air Cannon."

The brainchild of Joe Riche, Zach Smith and Eric Dewine, the project has managed to motor itself around a fair amount just in the year 2003, gaining wider acceptance and respect as an art form and a pretty impressive scientific design as well. In fact, just last March 21, MMP crashed into Taos to display its freshest performance project, setting off a bizarre array of fire and spark-emitting robots. The performance also featured remote operated machines and "ear-splitting sounds and experimental audio," said the Tempo Magazine/Taos News.

In an interview in Taos, N.M., the boys of the project were asked whether there was an underlying philosophical or artistic theme to MMP or if the group simply enjoyed playing with machines. MMP responded, "It's probably a little of both. We definitely have a blast building, testing, traveling and performing with the machines. We would not continue the project if we did not. At the same time, keep in mind that this is a 'project,' something that will grow and evolve the more we experiment with new technologies and equipment. Right now it may seem that we are a 'bunch of guys having fun with crazy-looking machines' and we are aware of this.

"Though we are working to bring this type of art to a higher conceptual caliber."

Their work ethic caliber is already at an extreme level: Each machine boasts an average of well over 100 hours of fabrication time between three and five people. "Design time, who knows?" says MMP.

While the project uses surplus and salvaged parts as much as possible, particular things must be bought, and those parts don't even have the heart to leave a bit of spare change floating around.

Yet the results are something that the general public will not be able to witness in a normal situation without consequence: "Controlled danger." As MMP describes it, "Controlled danger is what happens when we try to create realistic situations with machines and equipment that have the same intensity level as ours.

"We are all driven as artists to work in this genre which is of the same ilk as our art. Working within the gallery system is nowhere near as adventurous as putting diesel-spewing flame throwers, radio controlled machines, high voltage equipment and roaring pulse jets in the path of our audience. We are giving the audience an opportunity to experience true reality. Everything we use at a performance is fully operational and dangerous, but under controlled circumstances."

A regular in Denver, Colo., Motoman has also caused a ruckus in Houston, Texas, Black Rock City, Nev., Aurora, Colo., and Ranchos de Taos, N.M.

The next explosive performance has been planned for Oct. 24 in Denver, Colo., if you happen to find yourself in the area and in need for a little heavy metal and something a lot less "artsy."