Saturday, Sep 14, 2024

Museum Unplugged Another Music Outlet

Author: Suzanne Mozes

Keeping the lights on a little bit longer, the Middlebury College Museum of Art presents its inaugural "Museum Unplugged" Thursday, Oct. 2 from 8 to 11 p.m.

Caleb Elder '04 and the Bittersweet String Band, featuring Caleb Elder and Charlotte Carlson '05 on the fiddle, Alex Reiser '04 on bass guitar and Bennet Konesni '04 on drums, will lure students out of their dorm rooms and towards the new leather couches whereupon they can sip their cappuccinos from Rehearsals CafÈ and wander through the new exhibitions, What Became of Peter's Dream? Court Culture in the Reign of Nicholas II and City of Shadows: Photographs of Petersburg by Alexey Titarenko.

Trying to identify why students did not take advantage of the Center for the Arts (CFA) facilities, museum interns and the Exhibitions Advisory Committee, composed of students and faculty of various disciplines, suggested that the Middlebury College Museum of Art make itself more accessible to the student body.

According to Events and Programs Coordinator Andrea Solomon, "When we did some research last year with students, many said they couldn't come to the museum due to the hours. Hence our effort to have one night per week we're open, and attract them here with food and student musicians." Normal hours, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., fell on student class, lab and team practice time slots.

As a result, the CFA and College Museum will undertake this new venture to excite student interest in their museum. Each Thursday night, "Museum Unplugged" will offer extended hours in both the College Museum and the Rehearsals CafÈ along with student entertainment.

In the near future, a pianist from the Music Department, the Mischords, and Lucy Chapin '06 are all scheduled to perform in the lower lobby of the CFA.

Moreover, along with the new leather couches that invite students to study in both the upper and lower lobbies, the lower lobby will be outfitted with Internet cable outlets sometime this semester to enable students to carry their computers into the space and access the internet.

Essentially, this will be the place to "pre-game" and relax before heading out for a Thursday evening.

Furthermore, Solomon has even suggested putting together an evening before winter break for a formal attire occasion with wine and cheese. After all is said and done, there seems to be more plugging in than "unplugging" this upcoming Thursday night between lighting in the College Museum, Rehearsals CafÈ and microphones for Caleb Elder and the Bittersweet String Band.