Saturday, Sep 14, 2024

The Toots Trade Self-Absorbtion for Untainted Talent Toots and the Maytals Prove Generation Y is Just Right for Reggae

Author: Abbie Beane

Once in a great while a fairly renowned band comes along that's not so self-important - and that's refreshing to see. A band that isn't so laden with recognition of its own talent that it can manage to float nicely between self-confidence and its audience while putting on a show. This would describe perfectly the position of the vivacious Jamaican musicians, Toots and the Maytals, whose tour brought them to the McCullough Social Space last Friday.

The Toots, often referred to as the "inventors of reggae," proved their worth by putting on a down-to-earth performance, which displayed consistent energy and was met with one of the most supportive crowds seen in years at the College. Lead singer and founder of the band, Toots Hibbert, was simply a ball of fire and unbiased love, taking so much time out to recognize the fans that it was a wonder he was still able to focus on the music.

When the Toots showed up in Jackson Hole, Wyoming in the Teton Village last summer they were also received with much warmth and anticipation, however the crowd was more or less distracted throughout the performance by pints of Snake River Lager, bottles of Fat Tire and shots of Jeigermeister at the Mangy Moose's bar. No alcohol was allowed into the show this past Friday.

But like all bands, the Toots had to start from small beginnings. Hibbert, born in Maypen in the parish of Clarendon, Jamaica, began singing in the church choir at the age of seven. It was in his teens, after moving to Kingston, the capital of Jamaica, that he met Raleigh Gordon and Jerry Mathiast, who formed the original Maytals in 1962. If you can't remember back that far, they were actually known as The Vikings until 1966.

Beginning their collective career at Studio One, the Toots recorded their debut release, "Hallelujah," a mÈlange of Jamaican and gospel music. Lacing these two styles together remains a common musical trend in their music to the present, pinning them with the stubborn tag, "the band with the spiritual ska beat."

After a couple more hits, such as "I'll Never Grow Old" and "Just Got To Be Me," the Toots met Prince Buster, another legendary figure in Jamaican music and the number one sound operator on the island. Together, this fledgling band and Buster made singles that gained popularity in England and Jamaica, picking up steam in dancehalls as well. As a team, they also produced some of the best records of the ska era, such as "Dog War," also known as "Broadway Jungle." And in 1966 after beginning work with Byron Lee and Dragonaires, they won their first Jamaican festival competition with the song, "Bam Bam."

Although the Toots have experienced a few dry spells here and there, Friday night at the College proved they still appeal to the younger generation as well as to the older. Although the concert attracted an eclectic mix of people, they all expressed a common enthusiasm for the band and its legendary music. Due to the fact that Hibbert made the concert just as much about the audience as himself, the fans never lulled into a dull moment and proved receptive to his infectiously amiable spirit. There was crowd-surfing, there was singing, and boy, was there lots of jumping. In fact, Hibbert even invited the audience to come up and dance on stage several times - a rarity for big-name bands. But, then again, who wouldn't want a bunch of college women dancing provocatively, two inches away, in every direction?

Some of the particularly crowd galvanizing songs included, "Feel Free," and renditions of "Louie, Louie" and "Country Road, Take Me Home." Hibbert never failed to get audience members involved in the lyrics either, constantly encouraging them to sing along. The surprising part was that many people did in fact know the lyrics to even the more obscure songs. Or maybe it's not so surprising, considering what a comeback reggae has made in past years, especially among the college crowd. After all, there's nothing like a little smooth reggae after a hard day of academics and nagging from authority figures.

This show was one of the most relaxing, one of the most humming, one of the most selfless performances put on in McCullough since I began going to concerts at the College three years ago. It felt like you could be up on stage with the band, singing right along with Hibbert - and indeed some were. We're lucky here at the College to have tagged such a talented and polished group of musicians - musicians who made a stop in small-town Vermont on their way from Philadelphia and New York to their next show in Maine.

For more information on the "Toots," including biographies, their current touring schedule and their lyrics, visit www.tootsandthemaytals.net/toots/. This site also includes sound clips and photographs from dozens of their previous concerts.