Thursday, Sep 26, 2024

Middlebury welcomes new faculty this fall

This fall, Middlebury welcomes several new faculty who bring diverse perspectives and backgrounds.

As the class of 2028 begins the next chapter of their academic careers, a new cohort of faculty are taking their next steps on their professional paths at Middlebury. This fall, the college welcomed nine new assistant professors in tenured or tenure-track positions to the Middlebury faculty, in addition to other visiting faculty.

Coming from varying backgrounds and experiences with Middlebury, they all bring fresh perspectives to their various departments including Biology, Chemistry and Biochemistry, Gender, Sexuality and Feminist Studies, Mathematics and Statistics, Philosophy, and Physics, according to Dean of the Faculty Jim Ralph.

“We have a lively, spirited group of new faculty who bring a wide array of backgrounds that will enhance the experience of our students and enrich our campus,” Ralph said in a recent announcement from the college.

Departments are also joined this fall by nine visiting professors, 13 lecturers and 12 teaching assistants, nine of whom are language teaching assistants in Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish.

The Biology Department welcomed Assistant Professor Andrew Swafford, an evolutionary cell biologist whose research focus is on fungi’s unique sensory system and how it has come to evolve in other species. Swafford is particularly enthusiastic about bringing students into his research.

“I am especially excited to guide students through their first time tracing a real-life gene through millions of years of evolutionary history to find its origin as well as seeing students discover the wild and unique biology of fungi,” Swafford wrote in an email to The Campus. “It’s truly an amazing time to be a professor at Middlebury.”

The Chemistry and Biochemistry Department added three new assistant professors. Assistant Professor of Chemistry Alexandria Bredar comes to Middlebury after completing postdoctoral research at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Bredar’s current research focuses on the chemistry of the development of solar cells and batteries. 

Bredar told The Campus that her undergraduate liberal arts experience drew her to Middlebury, in addition to its commitment to clean energy and the environment. 

“I'm excited to bring my love of energy technology to campus! I'm already so impressed with Middlebury's efforts toward sustainability and climate action on campus, and I hope to bring a chemical science perspective to students and faculty. I'm currently teaching an elective about the chemistry of energy conversion,” Bredar wrote. “This was the perfect class for me to begin my career here.”

Assistant Professor of Chemistry Emma Guiberson said that she is passionate about chemistry education and making science more accessible for all students. She hopes to use her multifaceted academic background to encourage students to explore the intersection between the sciences, arts and humanities. 

“Although we learn science in these silos, in reality, it happens across so many fields at once to answer some of the most interesting questions,” Guiberson said. “Science and the arts and humanities don’t operate in isolation either, which is one of the reasons I was so excited to work at a liberal arts college.” 

Having finished her postdoctoral research at Stanford University, Guiberson looks forward to working with Middlebury students to continue studying how human bacteria interact and communicate, specifically looking at the oral microbiome through metabolomics.

Kira Rahn also joined the Chemistry and Biochemistry department, holding a doctorate in analytical chemistry from Iowa State University. Her research lies in electrochemical sensors, specifically developing electrochemical sensors for disease diagnostics. 

The Gender, Sexuality and Feminist Studies department brought in Cynthia Yuan Gao, who received her doctorate in American Studies from New York University. Gao’s research revolves around the intersection between 20th-century Asian-American activism and revolutionary movements in Vietnam and China. 

The Mathematics and Statistics Department added two assistant professors to the equation: Rose Morris-Wright and Christian Statton. 

Morris-Wright was a visiting assistant adjunct professor at the University of California Los Angeles before coming to Middlebury as a visiting assistant professor. After serving two years, she is settling in at Middlebury as an assistant professor. A theoretical mathematician, Morris-Wright’s primary research is in geometric group theory, which combines algebra and geometry to study symmetry. 

Christian Statton comes to Middlebury with a passion for environmental statistics, having worked for the U.S. Geological Survey as an environmental statistician. Statton is not only eager to teach his courses Introduction to Statistical Science and Time Series Analysis this semester, but also to engage with his students. 

“In just the first two weeks of class, I’ve already experienced several remarkable moments with students,” Statton said, adding that many students have already visited him during office hours to explore how statistics can be applied to environmental issues. “I’m eager to learn more about their passions, what drives their interest in statistics and how they plan to apply it in their own research.” 

As for Philosophy, Tim Juvshik joins the department as faculty following a year as a visiting assistant professor. Earning his bachelor’s in philosophy from Lakehead University, master’s in philosophy from McGill University and Queen’s University, and doctorate in philosophy from the University of Massachusetts Amherst, Juvshik now researches metaphysics and the philosophy of technology. 

To address a new focus on astronomy and astrophysics at Middlebury, the Physics Department recently created an endowed faculty position in astrophysics, which is now held by Michael Dunham, who holds a doctorate in astronomy from the University of Texas at Austin. 

“I am very excited to bring my experience and expertise in astrophysics, particularly in radio astronomy and the topic of star formation,” Dunham wrote in an email to The Campus. He also looks forward to developing new astronomy and astrophysics courses that have never been offered at Middlebury.

Studying early stages of star formation, Dunham seeks to understand how stairs gain their mass using remote telescopes around the globe. He is not new to a school like Middlebury, having spent his undergraduate education in a liberal arts environment and working for nearly a decade at State University of New York at Fredonia.

“I strongly believe in the value of a broad liberal arts education, and I’m looking forward to enhancing the ways in which astronomy — one of the oldest scientific disciplines — can contribute to the mission of a liberal arts institution. I’m also very much looking forward to working with Middlebury students, who so far seem thoughtful, intelligent, and eager to both learn new things and teach what they already know,” Dunham said. 

A strong pull to Middlebury for many of these new faculty is the access to Vermont’s idyllic landscape. For some, it is their first New England year, including Guiberson.

“This is actually my first time living in New England let alone Vermont. I’m especially looking forward to some beautiful fall foliage as someone moving from an area without changing seasons,” Guiberson said. “I’m also hoping some students will help me as I begin my first attempts at skiing. So if you see me on the mountain, I’m very open to any and all tips from the pros!”

Guiberson is not alone, as Bredar also looks forward to experiencing Vermont winter. 

“I'm honestly excited for my first New England winter! That probably sounds a little crazy, but I love snow and did not get to see any snow during my time in the south for the last eight years,” Bredar said.

Outside of the mountains and forests, some others look to the fishing opportunities in Vermont. A fly-fishing enthusiast, students might find Statton reeling in brook trout during his free-time.

“In addition to working with such outstanding students, I’m eager to explore the fly fishing opportunities around Middlebury. Fly fishing is one of my passions, and Vermont offers some truly exceptional spots to enjoy it,” Statton said.