Tuesday, Sep 17, 2024

News In Brief: College sees decrease in fall enrollment

This fall, there are 2,774 students enrolled at Middlebury’s Vermont campus, an increase from 2,546 in spring 2024, but a slight decrease from 2,800 in fall 2023. Currently, 128, or five percent, of those students are living off campus, and the remaining 2,646 are living in on-campus college housing, according to Dean of ResLife AJ Place in an email to The Campus.

The discrepancy between fall and spring enrollment results from the atypically large class of 2023.5 that graduated last February as well as from more students choosing to go abroad in the spring than in the fall. 

This semester, 208 students are studying away, according to an email to The Campus from Middlebury International Programs. That group consists primarily of students studying abroad and a handful who are studying at the Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey (MIIS). 

For the first fall in three years, there are no students living at the Inn on the Green or any other off-campus college housing. Director of Business Services Matt Curran wrote in an email to The Campus that the college plans to sell Inn on the Green in 2025. It is currently being used by a daycare that is under renovation.

The decrease in enrollment was also affected by the size of the incoming first year class. Middlebury received 12,541 applications for the classes of 2028 and 2028.5. Fifteen hundred of these applicants were offered admission, and 700 enrolled. This year’s acceptance rate was the highest it has been in three years, at 12%. 

This fall’s first year class is made up of 600 students and 100 additional  Febs will matriculate in February 2025. The classes of 2028 and 2028.5 represent 42 states plus the District of Columbia, the most common being Massachusetts, New York, California, Vermont and Connecticut, in that order. They also represent 51 countries, the most common being China, Canada, India, Hong Kong and Brazil, in that order. 

There are 30 incoming Posse scholars, joined by Middlebury’s second cohort of QuestBridge students. The class is made up of 26% students of color, 14% international students and 16% first-generation college students. The class represents the first cohort of Middlebury students admitted without affirmative action, after a June 2023 Supreme Court decision that banned the consideration of race or ethnicity in college admissions.

Maggie Bryan

Maggie Bryan '25 (she/her) is the Senior Arts and Culture Editor.

Maggie has previously served as Arts and Culture Editor and Staff Writer. She hails from Chapel Hill, North Carolina, and is double majoring in French and Environmental Policy. This spring, she will be studying abroad in Paris. During her free time, she can be found running on the TAM or teaching spin classes in the FIC.