Thursday, Oct 3, 2024

Seven questions with Keegan Leach ’25, ski patrol

Keegan Leach '25 (front) leads a toboggan during a ski patrol rescue.

Keegan Leach ’25, originally from Lee, Massachusetts, is serving as one of the co-presidents of Middlebury Ski Patrol this year. Leach has served on Middlebury Ski Patrol since his freshman year.

In this edition of Seven Questions, Leach discusses how Ski Patrol works as a team, his lifelong passion for skiing and his favorite dining hall meal.

JM: Many people wouldn't consider Ski Patrol a traditional sport, but why would you consider you guys to be athletes and part of a team?

KL: Well, I don't know if we're not necessarily athletes, but we're certainly part of a team. Teamwork is a major part of the job, and it almost fills the void of a sports team for many of its members, including myself. So when we arrive at a job site or an accident, we have to have effective and clear communication on how to transport this patient back down the mountain and best treat them. It's crucial for both efficiency and patient care, and so we need to work as a team in very high stakes situations, and in that way, we're just as much of a team as any other sports team. However, obviously, we do not have a competitive aspect, so we're obviously not a traditional sport, but we definitely are a team, and we work very effectively as a team.

JM: Can you tell me what's your experience with skiing throughout your life?

KL: So I grew up ski racing in Western Massachusetts. I did both high school and club racing. I did club at a little mountain called Jiminy Peak, and then I ski raced at Bosque too,  the little mountains in the Berkshires. And then I've always loved skiing. I love skiing, trees, shoots, all that fun stuff. I think in a lot of ways, skiing is what brought me to Vermont, and then I joined the ski patrol when I was a freshman, and it's been great. It's a great group of skiers. But I do definitely want to emphasize, too, that you don't have to be a racer to join patrol.

JM: What are some of your favorite memories of Ski Patrol?

KL: I worked February break last year, and it was just such a phenomenal time. The break crew was awesome. We got to stay at the Bread Loaf campus, and we worked all break. The snow was pretty good, but it was just like such a fun crew. We got a fair amount of accidents, but it was just great vibes all around. Staying at “The Earthworm” was such a fun experience, which is the place we stay at Bread Loaf.

JM: What are some of the biggest challenges of being on Ski Patrol?

KL: I don't know if there are many challenges. I think just re-entering the season, keeping up with your patient assessments and splinting skills and everything, all that nature. And then the 7 a.m. wake ups can be tough on a cold January day, but it's always worth it.

JM: Do you have any tips for staying safe out there on the slopes?

KL: Ski within your limits. Ski in control. A lot of times, people go skiing with their friends, and their friends are at higher levels than them. You don't need to try and keep up. Ski at your own pace, and ski what you're comfortable with.

JM: What's your favorite run at the Snow Bowl?

KL: It's gotta be Ross. I mean there are two types of people. There are Ross people and there are Allen people. I'm a Ross person. I think the pitch is so fun at the bottom when it's well groomed. It doesn't get tracked out as much as Allen. I don't think [Ross] gets quite as icy. That said, Allen on a good day is fantastic. I am just a Ross guy.

JM: What’s your favorite dining hall meal?

KL: General Tso’s Chicken. It’s fried chicken with sweet sauce on it. What can you complain about?