A powerful student body

Author: ELI BERMAN '07.5

While searching in vain for a vacant practice room the other night, it finally clicked. Overwhelmed by the sounds of Bach preludes, Mendelssohn trios, Beethoven and Brahms, I truly understood, perhaps for the first time, the true power of each individual student and of the Middlebury College student body as a whole. Where else - in the world - could so high a proportion of a single community be challenging themselves to master music so difficult and complex? And if this is what was happening in the CFA, I wondered, what were our fellow students doing at BiHall, in the library and on the playing field? Undoubtedly, developing skills and honing talents equally as impressive.

"But, Eli," you ask, "how do these things transform into power?" Let me explain.

A year ago today, as an idealistic, young(er), aspiring leader, I ran for SGA president on a campaign platform of "power." My thought was that 2,350 bright, involved, energetic (and, yes, attractive) people with diverse backgrounds and ambitions could combine their formidable energy to achieve definitive and durable change.

A year later, that thought has transformed into an unshakeable conviction. After meeting with countless students, administrators and community members, I now know how respected Middlebury students are and how seriously we are taken by decision-makers, both on and off campus.

A few examples:

­- By encouraging professors to submit requisition forms earlier, the SGA helped students earn three times as much money selling their books back to the bookstore.

- With few transportation options provided by the College, the SGA subsidized a bus to Burlington that now shuttles members of the College and town communities to the "big city" at a more than reasonable price.

- And my favorite-two years ago, the SGA successfully convinced the Administration to open Proctor for Sunday brunch after it had decided, with minimal student input, to close the dining hall on the weekends.

These examples are not intended to be a laundry list of SGA's accomplishments. Rather, I want to remind all of us that positive change, when supported by an informed and involved student body, is not only possible but inevitable. The Middlebury student body simply has too many good ideas to be denied.

The Student Activity Fee ­- the second of the two lines that appear on your tuition bill - helps make all of this possible. The fee, which next year will be about $235, is directly controlled and allocated by the SGA through the SGA Finance Committee. Though $235 may not seem like all that much, it totals over $500,000 when multiplied by Middlebury's 2,350 students. The money goes to MCAB, the commons and clubs in order to enhance student life on - and soon off - campus. It is especially useful when, as with the recently passed "SafeRides" bill, the Administration chooses not to financially support a student initiative, because the SGA has the ability to allocate funds (at least to a certain degree) as it deems appropriate.

"OK," you are now saying, "the SGA did a couple good things and we have a lot of money. What does that have to do with me?" Well, my fellow students, it has everything to do with all of us. The SGA, your student government, is only as powerful as you believe it can be (sort of sounds like Tinkerbelle). The government can only make change if you voice a need and you allow your elected representatives to fill that need.

Today's elections for the SGA's two most powerful positions provide the first and easiest way to involve yourself. Read the candidates' statements of intent, which are available online, and vote. Bombard your new leaders with needs, wants, ideas and concerns, whether realistic or not. Criticize, criticize and then criticize some more. As someone who has been on the receiving end for the past year, I know it hurts a little but helps a lot.

Above all, stay involved. Whether we are trying to open Proctor or, as Midd8 is now doing, focusing on Millenium Goals, the Student Government is the most accessible and effective way to amplify the voice of every student and group. With so much going on at Middlebury, and students challenging themselves in so many unique ways, Middlebury is a lot like those CFA practice rooms. Though we are all trying to make our own music, we can't help but be influenced by what we hear from other aspiring virtuosi, as long as we respect what they are doing, give a helping hand and remember to listen. And if we band together and support the objective of an active and powerful SGA, I am certain that next year will be filled with beautiful music all across our campus.