Addison County Human Society provides care for countless critters

There is only one humane society in Addison County, and lucky for Middlebury students, it is in town. Off Route 7 South on Boardman St., the Addison County Humane Society is currently home to 75 animals. Most are cats, but there are also dogs, rabbits and guinea pigs living in the shelter and hoping to be adopted. An additional 50 animals are associated with the society but do not live in the shelter. Since opening in 1975 it has helped over 16,000 lost, abandoned, abused or donated animals.

On each of the cages in the shelter is a description of the animal residing in the kennel. The signs include the animal’s name, age, breed, sex and comfort level interacting with other pets or children. There is also a short story about its personality, how it came to the shelter and the type of home the shelter is seeking for it. The signs are an easy way to learn about the demeanor of each animal so that families can find the best pet to adopt. Although there are most definitely cuddly cats and loving dogs, the shelter takes care of special needs animals that have special dietary restrictions as well. No animal will ever be turned away, and every animal receives as much care as the shelter can provide. There are newborn kittens and twelve-year-old cats, all waiting for a loving home.

Jennifer Erwin, shelter manager, dedicates most of her time to finding homes for the animals. Because there is limited space at the shelter itself, the Addison County Humane Society has developed a foster care program for families.

“The animals need space. Reasons may be medical or behavioral, but for the most part it’s kittens who spend their first 8 weeks with a family,” said Erwin.

Families are invited to come in and fill out an application. After a brief interview, they are given an animal to take home and care for. The shelter helps with veterinarian care, but the family provides the animals with food and other necessities. Although the foster care is not permanent, Erwin said that, “about half the families adopt the animals they were caring for.” In this way, the foster program not only eases the overflow of animals in the shelter, it also unites families with a potential new member.

HS-online-2-225x300

Addison County Humane Society also has a “guardian angel” program, as not everyone can adopt a pet or keep one in foster care. The guardian angels of the shelter donate a certain amount of money to sponsor a kennel, paying for the space, food and care of the animal for however long they choose; there are rates for one month, three months, six months and up to a year.

“We aren’t funded by any other humane society,” said Erwin. Consequently, the shelter values any donation immensely.

Recently, the humane society developed a new orientation program for those who volunteer. Twice a month for one hour the public is welcome to come and learn how to properly care for the animals. The orientation covers basic care for dogs during a walk, including how to calm the dog, handle the leash and keep it from getting away or hurt. The humane society also offers a complete tour of its facilities so that the volunteers can come back and help whenever they please.

Porter Knight, a resident of Bristol, Vt., and her son Bryson both began volunteering at the humane society one year ago.

“We adopted a dog six years ago,” said Knight, whose son added, “We come to do dogs and cats on Saturdays.”

Knight and other volunteers have discovered that helping the society is also a lot of fun and a great way to spend any afternoon.

Still, the humane society could always use more help, particularly in March and April when it receives an influx of newborn kittens. Even a quick visit to the animals on a day off from work or in between class can help.