Admired French professor passes

Jean Thompson Fulton Professor Emerita of French Carol Rifelj recently passed away after spending 38 years as an esteemed member of the faculty at the College.  Although Rifelj retired this past spring, many students, faculty and staff on campus have been affected by her passing.

french-teacher01-200x300

Dean of the Faculty and Rehnquist Professor of American History and Culture Jim Ralph described how Rifelj “served the College in so many ways as a teacher, a scholar and a dean.”

“There was no stronger advocate for the professional growth of the faculty.  In 2004, when she was appointed dean for faculty development and research, a new position, she pulled together existing programs and established new ones to help her colleagues become better teachers and scholars.  She especially enjoyed mentoring younger members of the faculty,” wrote Ralph in an email.

President of the College Ronald D. Liebowitz echoed Ralph’s sentiments in an e-mail to all students, faculty and staff.

“Carol brought all of her talents and years of experience to bear in her service [as dean of faculty development and research] … She was an unstinting supporter, advocate and mentor of a new generation of faculty colleagues, and I know she took great pride in the accomplishments of junior colleagues that she helped to hire and support,” wrote Liebowitz.
C.A. Professor of Italian and Head of Cook Commons Pat Zupan offered personal memories of Professor Rifelj.

“Those of us who knew her over the years know she also lived [an] intellectual life in concert with her heart, with her great concern and affection for students, friends, and colleagues.  This humanity distinguished Carol; her very illness caused her to reach out constantly and courageously.”

“My own most treasured memories of Carol are of simple conversations and laughter at table that my husband and I shared with her and her husband … These simple moments bound us in our common humanity, and in our shared joy in living the life of both the mind and the heart,” added Zupan.

Rifelj joined the faculty of the College in 1972 and served as assistant professor, director of the Château and of the French House. Rifelj made tenure in 1979 and was subsequently promoted as a full professor in 1985.  In 1993, Rifelj was named Jean Thomson Fulton professor of French.  Rifelj also served over various years as director of the Middlebury School in France, dean of the Middlebury French School, chair of the French department and dean of the faculty.

In addition to her multiple administrative positions, Rifelj also served on faculty committees and several ad-hoc committees.

“She attended to this work as she did so much in her life — with great energy, enthusiasm, empathy, and skill,” commented Ralph.

Rifelj also distinguished herself by publishing numerous articles, essays, books and electronic publications. Her most recent work, Coiffures: Hair in 19th-Century French Literature and Culture, was published by just this year.  Rifelj gave a lecture on the topic of this new book on Friday Oct. 8 at the College.

A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. this Saturday, Nov. 6 in Mead Chapel.  Following the service there will be a reception in the Château Grand Salon.  All are invited to attend.