Alumna celebrates Irish heritage in pageant

For many, St. Patrick’s Day is an excuse to “darty” in search of the luck of the Irish. The morning after the holiday, students are haunted by the green beads, temporary shamrock tattoos and empty bottles of Bailey’s that clutter their floors, but the cultural significance of this day is often lost. This is one reason Middlebury alumna Katie McKendy ’07 decided to audition for a place in the United Irish Society’s St. Patrick’s Day Parade, an unusual beauty pageant in which contenders compete for the title of St. Patrick’s Day Parade Queen.

mckendy3-199x300

McKendy’s title as the St. Patrick’s Day Parade Queen reveals little about the way in which the position is attained and held. Unlike in many beauty pageant competitions, the basis upon which McKendy and her fellow contestants were evaluated had nothing to do with what they looked like in a bathing suit or how well they could tap their feet. Instead, the competition was centered around public speaking skills and poise. First, each contestant was required to deliver a speech about her education and hobbies. After that step, McKendy was selected to move on, with nine other participants, to the next round, during which they were asked to deliver a speech about their Irish backgrounds. Discussing Irish step dancing and its role in her life, McKendy was one of five women to advance to the final round of the competition.

“We were all asked a question and had to provide an impromptu response,” said McKendy. “My question was ‘Do you think there’s bias in the media?’ I said ‘yes, obviously.’” Based on her response and delivery, McKendy was selected to be queen.
Reflecting on her experience at Middlebury, McKendy credited much of what she has achieved today to the opportunities she had at the College — in particular, her involvement with the Irish Dancing club she and a few fellow classmates started. The dancing club allowed her and her classmates to dance at venues on and off-campus, as well as lead Winter Term workshops highlighting Irish traditions and culture. However, McKendy’s celebration and interaction with her Irish heritage is not new. When she was 13 years old, McKendy participated in the same parade she now resides over as queen. Having grown up in Montreal, being queen in the parade had always intrigued McKendy, who explained, “Its something I kind of always secretly wanted to do.”

Now, finally fulfilling her childhood dreams, McKendy feels responsible for representing her Irish culture and heritage.
“The purpose of the parade is to bring the community together — those who are Irish and even those who aren’t,” said McKendy. “My role as the queen is to represent the United Irish Society, which includes going to different media events and speaking on behalf of Irish community of Montreal.”

In addition to contributing to her new title as the St. Patrick’s Day parade queen, McKendy’s Middlebury education has taken her to medical school at McGill University. One of the things that drew McKendy to Middlebury from her home in Canada was the integration of academics and her pre-med requirements with student involvement out of the classroom.
“The thing about Middlebury is that you’re surrounded by all these young people who are motivated and involved,” explained McKendy. This atmosphere allowed her to thrive not only as a pre-med student but also as a member of the Middlebury community, something she values even after graduation.

Memories of Saint Patrick’s Day at Middlebury may be hazy for some but McKendy remembers distinctly her sophomore year when she, with the Irish Dancing Club, hosted a dance workshop in the Adirondack Coltrane Lounge.

“Everybody was so eager to get involved,” she said. “If you offer new opportunities, people are always really excited.”

While Saint Patrick’s Day is an excellent excuse to go out on a school night and have fun before heading away for spring break, the cultural significance that the holiday holds is important for many. McKendy suggests, for those drawn to the more traditional appeal of the holiday, either driving to Montreal for the parade, or “if the club still exists, taking on the tradition of participating in an Irish dance workshop.”