Alumni Band Showcase

On Friday, in honor of homcoming weekend, the Grille hosted a special edition of the MCAB-sponsored “Music and Drinks” series, featuring a showcase of four bands with at least one member who graduated from Middlebury.  As it was a Friday, the event was not as crowded as it might have been on a Thursday night (this year’s Avi Buffalo concert, Trivia Night and other MCAB-sponsored Thursday night Grille events have all packed the house), those who attended got a taste of the sort of music Midd grads are playing out in the wide world.

Tribe of Light: Members: Brian Harris ’08 (bass), Alex Pastewski (vocals/rhythm guitar), Jeff Messina (lead guitar/vocals) and Joe Samuelian (drums)

tribe-of-light-300x225

Based in: Burlington, Vt.

Tribe of Light plays easygoing, likeable original music that is based in classic rock and roots music but, in true Burlington fashion, mixes in elements of funk, ska, folk and reggae.

The Grift:

the-grift-300x225

Members: Clint Bierman ’97 (vocals/guitar), Jeff Vallone ’98.5 (drums), Peter Day ’01 (bass) and Eric Maier (keys)

Based in: Burlington, Vt and Bridport, Vt.

Formed in Boulder, CO in 1999 by Bierman and Vallone, Day was later added to what is now the core trio of the well-oiled musical machine known as The Grift.  You may rememer them by the variety of blistering covers they have brought to past homecoming tent formals.

Hip Hatchet:

Members: Philippe Bronchtein ’10 (and a rotating cast of other musicians)

hip-hatchet-300x225

Based in: Montclair, NJ

Officially the project of Bronchtein (who also produces dance music under the name Bearplane), Hip Hatchet is almost always joined on stage by a few friends to crank out some beautifully delicate folk tunes — tonight it was Eamon Fogarty ’11.

Apollo Run:

Members: Graham Fisk ’02 (drums/vocals), John McGrew (vocals/keys/trumpet/guitar) and Jeff Kerestes (bass/vocals)

Based in: New York, NY

After graduating from Middlebury, Fisk met McGrew and Kerestes through a mutual friend, hearing that they needed a drummer.  The trio now plays expressive, anthemic rock that Fisk likens to Queen and Muse, among others.