Black History Celebrated with Lectures, Workshops, and Symposia

Author: Maren Messing

Several organizations on campus put together an impressive collection of events in honor of Black History Month, which has been celebrated every February since 1976.
Carter G. Woodson, 1875-1950, noted black scholar and historian and son of former slaves, began the original week- long observance in 1926 as a time to mark the considerable cultural and social contributions of African-Americans to the fabric of the United States.
The month of February marks several anniversary milestones in black history:
Abraham Lincoln's approval of the 13th amendment abolishing slavery took place in February while the ratification of the 15th amendment guaranteeing that race would not prevent a man from voting was passed on Feb. 3, 187.
The Montgomery bus boycott arrests took place on Feb. 22, 1956, and the Greensboro, N.C., Woolworth lunch-counter sit-in occurred Feb. 1, 1960.
This year, Black History Month arrives amidst national debate on race in the form of affirmative action and admissions policies at the University of Michigan.
As both the on campus event and this national debate highlight, there is still much work to be done to increase diversity on university campuses. At Middlebury there are currently only 19 African Americans out of a class of 695 students in the class of 2006.
With this continuing debate, Middlebury celebrated Black History Month with a series of workshops and lectures. The events were co-sponsored by the African American Alliance, (AAA) Umoja, Pan-Caribbean Student Organization, the Office of Institutional Diversity and Palana. The Center For Campus Activities also contributed to the event.
The Middlebury celebration kicked off on Saturday, Feb. 15 when Vermonja Alston, visiting scholar in residence, led a workshop on the "Tropical Memories of Romantic Origins: Twentieth Century African American (W) Rites of Passage through the Caribbean." Alston examined interpretations made by blacks living in the United States on the representations of Blcks in the Caribbean, according to AAA President Kiki Taylor '04.
This was followed by a workshop entitled "From Motown to Stax: The Evolution of Black Popular Music Aesthetics in the 1960s," led by William Nash, associate professor of American literature and civilization, who was introduced by Athena Fischer '04. During this workshop, Nash played some popular hits from the 1960s, including "My Girl" and "Inner City Blues."
Twilight Artist-in-Residence FranÁois Clemmons, Associate Chaplain Rabbi Ira Schiffer and Taylor all gave remarks at a luncheon in Bicentennial Hall's Great Hall following Nash's workshop.
The luncheon was organized by Taylor and Assistant in Academic Administration Jessa Karki. Schiffer provided the invocation and entertainment was provided by Clemmons' performance of "Lift Every Voice and Sing" and Mcahkamchaka's performance of "Nkosi Sikeleli Afrika."
Participants and workshop leaders received certificates for their involvement in Black History Month activities at Middlebury College during the lunch.
In the afternoon, Natalie Fisher '06 introduced Associate Professor of History William Hart who gave a workshop on "Higher Education and Affirmative Action in the 21st Century."
According to Taylor, "Hart created a room full of discussion when he asked whether or not 'set asides' and other forms of 'preferential treatment' are indeed 'constitutional.'"
The Workshop Series came to an end when Andy Rossmeissl '05 led a conversation entitled "Hip-Hop: An Interactive History" after being introduced by Crystal Belle '04. Discussion topics included the ways in which rap, graffiti, break dancing and spoken word make up hip-hop culture.
This past Sunday, the celebration continued with Black History Month Celebration Part II. Dr. Brenda Dixon-Gottschild, Emerita professor of dance at Temple University, gave a lecture-demonstration on "Stripping the Emperor: Africanisms in American Performance."
The class was on the appreciation of differences in dance and the meaning of syncretism in cultural dance forms, according to Taylor.
The weekend concluded with a "BHC Coffee House" in the Gamut Room.
Fischer, Belle and junior Anais Mitchell all performed while students chatted and enjoyed homemade treats provided by Taylor and Karki. Mellow tunes were provided by DJ Plasma -- Jason Spiegler '03.
Future events sponsored by the AAA include the annual Comedy Jam on Saturday, March 15 in McCullough.