Blues Jam gives musicians a venue

Whether you rock out on the guitar or play a mean harmonica solo, whether you’re a seasoned pro or experimenting with a new hobby, whether you can belt out a song to break a heart or you just like to listen to some good-old fashioned blues, 51 Main has a place for you.

Starting last May, the first Wednesday of every month has seen the Blues Jam rocking 51 Main from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. The set-up is simple: two rhythm players and guitarist Dennis Willmott from Left Eye Jump riff continuously as back-up music for whoever wants a chance to show their chops on stage. And the place jams.

“This is a hard-rocking, in-your-face kind of blues,” said Paul McMahon, one of the original founders of Blues Jam.  “The event started as a sideline thing because I have an interest in the blues, but now we’ve got a pretty decent clientele and a sizeable audience.”

As 8 p.m. approaches, musicians begin to casually enter the venue, each distinguished by the instrument he or she carries — the guitarists with large cases, the harmonica players with tiny cases and the singers with none. Musicians are of all ages and skill sets; the event attracts performers from all over Vermont, even north of Montpellier, as well as Middlebury students, professors and even some local high schoolers.

“We have a lot of professional musicians,” said McMahon, “but we also have a lot of good amateurs from the College.”

Professor David Bain, Lecturer in English and American Literatures, played his second Blues Jams this last Wednesday. Bain played the piano and sang.  For Bain, the blues have always been a central aspect of his life, having played throughout high school and college and later professionally with such artists as Bonnie Raiett, Johnny Hooker and James Montgomery.

“Blues Jam is an answer from heaven,” Bain said. “It’s really remarkable.  So many people have been professionals.  They really know their stuff, and it’s consistently really fantastic music.”

But despite the amazing talent in the room, “There are no big egos,” assures Bain.  “Everybody gives room to others and supports them.  People really yell and clap and scream.”

Even though Bain is somewhat new to the event, he’s been captivated. “I will do it until I can’t do it anymore,” he said.

After Blues Jam’s success and popularity, McMahon has been contemplating starting a second blues event on a different day of the month, this one an acoustic event to balance out Blues Jam’s hard-rocking Chicago style.

Blues Jam only has room to grow. “We get about 40 to 50 people, but the place can hold more,” McMahon said. “We can always use more people.”

He especially wants to recruit more Middlebury students.

“We’re really hoping to get more college kids down for the event,” McMahon said.

Bain agrees. “The more students we get down there, the better it will be,” he said. “The environment is marvelous. It’s great to see everybody with a shared love of American roots.”

While Bain and McMahon both raved about the event, they both kept returning to one phrase: “It’s a lot of fun.”

And who doesn’t need a little fun on a Wednesday night, when various papers loom over our heads after we finally get back to the dorm after a long practice?  Whether you’ll be up on stage performing or kicking back to enjoy the sound, Blues Jam is one way to let off some steam and enjoy an evening with interesting and talented people.