Bridge cuts down traffic on Main St.

While students have spent their summer months traveling and tanning, Middlebury has been busy at work. The town, which has had little time to relax since construction began over a year ago, has transformed. New roads, roundabouts and bridges now dominate the 39.2- square mile landscape.

Joe Colangelo, the assistant town manager, has played an active role in the construction process.

“In a town as small as Middlebury, a project as large as this is quite something,” he said.

bridge-update-andrewpodrygula-color-11-150x150

Construction is expected to be complete by Oct. 30, the day scheduled for the bridge’s grand opening. The bridge will form a second connection between the two sides of town, which are currently linked by Battel Bridge, located over Otter Creek.

“This is a public necessity and a safety issue,” Colangelo said. “Emergency vehicles need a way to get from one side of town to the other quickly.”

Along with the construction of the bridge come many road alterations. Although minor touchups still remain, the major road construction is finished. College Street is now a one-way street until it intersects with Weybridge Street, and then becomes a two-lane road again. The street is wider and there is diagonal parking in front of Sama’s Café. Weybridge Street and South Street/Academy Streets are now linked through a connector road, as well.

“As Middlebury grows, so does the traffic,” said Colangelo. “This construction brings new, but smoother, traffic patterns and circulation.”

A roundabout has also been built outside of Two Brothers Tavern. This has shifted the traffic flow, but will help with traffic flow, especially once the bridge is done.

“Students are going to notice a huge difference in town,” said Colangelo. “We are aware of the disruptive situation and we are going to do the best we can, as students begin moving into the dorms.”
In addition, water and sewer lines have been updated. Colangelo explained that this project was scheduled to begin five years from now, but it made sense to replace the pipes while the road was already torn up. The old clay pipes have been updated to modern PBC pipes, which will last up to 100 years.

A $16 million bond is funding all plans, nine million of which the College donated. The rest of the money comes from a local option tax. Colangelo stressed that Middlebury residents approved the construction because there was no burden on their property taxes.

“The Vermont government gave no money; it was 100 percent local,” he said. “I think the town is proud of that fact.”

The construction has been a long time coming. Colangelo said this project has been on the books since the 1950s, but the town had to wait until funding was available for construction to begin. A bridge committee was formed in the early 1990s and Colangelo has been a member for the last three years.

Colangelo believes the construction was a worthwhile project for the College, as much as it was for the town.

“If downtown Middlebury is vibrant, it will benefit the College, as well,” Colangelo said. “What is good for one is good for the other.”