Bring on the midterms! Our top five study spots

Author: Joseph Bergan, Features Editor

Library CafÈ

In many ways, the Library CafÈ is a hidden gem of a study spot. The CafÈ offers Odwalla juice, Coffee, Espresso, finger foods, salads and sandwiches from 7:30 a.m. -10:00 p.m. At ten, you can stock up and stay because unlike the New Library, the Library CafÈ is one of the only 24 hour spaces at The College. To use one word, Dining Services staff member Mary-Ann Gardner describes the cafÈ as "convenient." And how can it not be, as an appendix to the New Library - a.k.a. "the tree of knowledge" a.k.a. "the spaceship" - most of the resources on campus are just steps away. One word of caution: the noise in this locale is definitely a problem. No one has to keep quiet here, so they often don't. That said, the Library CafÈ is a hot spot for those who need a bit of background noise to think.

Hepburn Study Rooms

A classic, and perhaps the best place to actually get your work done. "Oh please, don't tell anyone about this place," says Brittany Burnett '09. With beautiful all wood cubicles and plenty of electrical and internet outlets, the Hepburn study room is one of the College's most luxurious study spots and it's also dead quiet - the radiator being the only audible noise. What's more, the Hepburn study room also does not discriminate against those students who hate carrels and love couches. Four loveseats with lots of floor space flank both sides of this neat study space. Finally, if the snow ever stops, you can even escape to the patio connected to the lounge to have a smoke, drink some tea or meditate. The Hepburn lounge may be the classiest, sassiest and best study spot on campus. Yet out of respect for Burnett, we won't give directions.

Gifford Annex Lounge

The first thing you notice when you open the doors to the Gifford Annex Lounge (Gannex in Wonnacott-speak), is the strange smell. Yet, once your nostrils become accustomed to the scent, you will find the room that you came to a small college for. Floor to ceiling wood paneling surrounds you as you have your pick of a number of couches or two nice tables on which to spread your study materials. Procrastination here is also difficult, as internet reception is spotty and, unlike other lounges around campus, the Gannex is sans television. Pianists might want to stay away, as the Gannex features a nice upright piano for your procrastination pleasure. While there were no students present during The Campus investigation, the Gannex is a popular meeting spot for campus groups. It is best to stay away from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. on all weekdays.

The Music Library

The Music Library lies deep in the recesses of the Center for the Arts (CFA) on the southwest side of campus. For any seniors who are the last to remember the feel of the old Starr Library, the Music Library may arouse some nostalgia. Like old Starr, the Music library has loads of metal furniture, a confusing layout and dead silence.

"This place is deserted at night," says Adam Levine '09, who enjoys a particular quirk about the Music Library. "For me, the best thing is the listening rooms. You can rent out a space and do your work, lock the door and listen to music," he says.

While the Music Library is one of the best places to hole one's self away, the Library's expansive collection of CDs is one noted procrastination tool. Watch out, because every desk also comes equipped with a CD and record player. The distance from campus and intense procrastination possibilities make the Music Library the study spot for the hardcore student in need to do some serious work.

Forest Laundry Room

Sometimes you find the study room, and sometimes - the study room finds you. You may be in a hairy situation in which you have no underwear and a novel to read by the morning. Enter the Forest Laundry Room. Warm, efficient and featuring the soothing sounds of industrial washers and dryers, the Forest Laundry room may be your final salvation. "Beyond the rhythm of the washers, it smells nice," says Nancy Fullman '07, who was busy folding her clothes. There are some logistical drawbacks, as the laundry room is a laundry room and is equipped as such. This means no internet hookups, no desks and only three chairs. It is also advisable not to stay too still while reading - you may turn off the motion-activated lights.