Burt, Ramaswamy Win Staff, Faculty Appreciation Awards

Author: Chelsea Coffin

The Student Government Association (SGA) designated this week as Faculty and Staff Appreciation Week. Although last year this event consisted of only a luncheon, it has been extended this year to a full week of activities that encompass many student organizations.
Nominated faculty and staff and their student nominators gathered on Tuesday with members of the SGA to kick off the week's events with a luncheon and award ceremony.
On behalf of the student body, SGA President Ginny Hunt '03 presented the Rodney and Beverly DeGray Staff Appreciation Award to Computing Support Specialist Nate Burt and the Marjorie Lamberti Faculty Appreciation Award to Frederick C. Dirks Professor of International Economics Sunder Ramaswamy.
The Rodney and Beverly DeGray Staff Appreciation Award was dedicated last year to a couple that gave over 90 years of collective service to the Middlebury community. Nate Burt, the recipient, is a member of the Information Technology Services (ITS) support staff. Mr. Burt was complimented on his relentless efforts to improve technological services and accessibility. "He is an unsung hero, saving many a thesis paper," said Hunt.
The Marjorie Lamberti Faculty Appreciation award was name for a professor who retired last year after numerous years of service. Ramaswamy, who is also chair of the Economics Department, was praised for his commitment to the student body. "He has inspired many students to major and minor in economics," said Hunt. Ramaswamy's active advising led him to serve on the taskforce that created the International Studies major.
Faculty and staff are encouraged to attend the rest of the week's events. SGA Chief of Staff Megan McElroy '04 and Michael Jou '06 organized a variety of activities, including a dessert reception in Hepburn Lounge, an a cappella performances in Mead Chapel on Wednesday, reserved seats for staff members at the On-Tap show at McCullough and a screening of "Mulan" in Dana Auditorium on Thursday. McElroy and Jou also arranged donut delivery to various staff offices, slated for this coming Friday.
This year marks the first that SGA has gone beyond the traditional luncheon as a token of appreciation. By extending the event, McElroy wishes "...to incorporate various facets of the Middlebury community to collaborate in recognizing the faculty and staff at Middlebury. The hope is that in years to come, greater participation amongst students in recognizing faculty and staff will be fostered by the SGA."