Campus accessibility proves ever challenging

Author: Molly Dwyer

Walking up the hill towards Mead Chapel, trekking to distant student parking lots and dashing between classes are but minor inconveniences for the majority of Middlebury students. However, for some members of the College community, these inconveniences are magnified by physical disabilities.

Though Middlebury has taken significant steps towards increasing handicap accessibility, the campus still remains and obstacle to some. Ellie Moore '10.5, suffered a significant leg injury this summer when a boulder landed on her knee while hiking. And while Moore half expected her daily life to be somewhat compromised by her injury, she never imagined that her injury would affect her academic life here at Middlebury.

Upon arriving on campus this fall, Moore, still on crutches, was forced to reevaluate her course schedule. Due to the lack of elevators in Munroe, she had no choice but to switch out of her 19th Century English class, which happens to meet on the fourth floor. Because most English classes are held on the upper floors of Munroe, Moore struggled to find an alternative English class to satisfy her major. She finally settled on Literary Theory.

However, while lectures were held in an accessible building, discussions were not, and as a result Moore was unable to attend the weekly discussion section. As a compromise Moore's professor asked her to write weekly responses en lieu of class.

"It's kind of a bummer that there's 'no space' for one class to change the location of the discussion," Moore said.

Despite some of the challenges Moore and others still face, in the past few decades Middlebury has made an increased effort to accommodate the various needs of disabled students. The push for these efforts comes largely from the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.The Middlebury College nondiscrimination statement says, "Section 504, where applicable, generally prohibits discrimination against qualified handicapped individuals, in educational programs and employment, on the basis of handicap."

American Disabilities Act Coordinator Jodi Litchfield strives to meet the needs of disabled Middlebury students in accordance with the College's nondiscrimination statement. When asked what recent steps the College has taken to become more handicapped accessible Litchfield replied, "The most recent examples that come to mind are the accessible entrance to Stewart Hall, the new sloped entrance to Wright Theatre, the amazing changes to Hillcrest and the beautiful stone ramp on Mead Chapel."

"Middlebury is constantly taking steps to improve accessibility on campus," Litchfield said. "The new buildings are designed with accessibility in mind, and Facilities Services frequently take steps to improve the accessibility of pre-existing buildings on campus as well."

Associate Dean of the College and Director of Public Safety Lisa Boudah had more to add to the list of improvements.

"The card access system incorporates door openers that can be programmed to work with an individual's card or from a push pad when the doors are unlocked for the public. Sidewalks are created so that the grade is appropriate and either join other sidewalks or has a curb cut when it comes to a street. Emergency phones are placed at a universally accessible height for callers and elevators or lifts have been added to buildings during renovations."

When questioned regarding the inaccessibility of certain classrooms like the ones Moore came across, Litchfield cited the inability to find a new location on such short notice.

Despite the improvements Moore recognizes that there remains a long ways to go before Middlebury will be truly handicap accessible.

"Lots of the storm doors are too heavy for me to open on my own and only a few select places on campus (i.e. McCardell Bicentenial Hall) have those automatic, handicap door-opener buttons and some of them are even broken!" said Moore. "The bathrooms are the slipperiest/scariest places for me to navigate but people have been really nice and are trying to find some sort of rubber mat to put on the ground to prevent slipping on the puddles from the showers."

Despite her frustrations, Moore has been appreciative of the welcoming and helpful attitude from the Middlebury community,

"Midd kids have been awesome about helping me.," said Moore. "[This appears to be] the only way that Middlebury seems equipped for dealing with handicapped students. The general vibe I've been getting from the administration is they are very friendly and eager to help but they just aren't equipped to help handicap students on this campus. At least not yet."