Campus Character: Ada Santiago and Fugu

“He’s really curious,” said Ada Santiago ’13. “He likes to be in the know. When new people come, he likes to meet them. He’s playful and funny and smart. He knows when he’s in trouble and he’s good at getting out of trouble. He knows how to get where he wants to go. He likes to eat tree bark.”

Wondering who this is? You’ve probably seen him on campus before, and although he’s often wearing a leash, Santiago isn’t describing her dog. Santiago is talking about her two-and-a-half-year-old rabbit named Fugu.

Ada and Fugu go a long way back. She first got him when a high school friend of hers whose two rabbits had babies needed to give them away. Ada’s family had a history of having pets, and they especially liked rabbits. The fact that Fugu needed a home badly convinced Santiago’s family they needed to take the rabbit in.

“If I hadn’t picked him up when I did he would have been sent to the pound the next day,” Santiago said. “He was the black sheep that I loved very, very much. I just liked him because he was different. His siblings were all white or white with brown spots. He was the only black one.”

When it was time to come to Middlebury, Ada knew she would have to bring Fugu with her. Her family supported her, and Ada made sure Fugu would be allowed by checking the College’s pet regulations and e-mailing Ross Commons Dean Janine Clookey. Most importantly, Santiago had to make sure her new roommate, Maggie Khuu ’13, would be okay with an extra roommate freshman year. Khuu’s responded affirmatively, so Fugu was set to come to college.

Now, Santiago and Fugu have become a common sight on campus. Santiago takes Fugu on walks three to four times per week, weather permitting. On sunny days they can be seen walking along College Road or outside Gifford’s north entrance.

“That’s what I call his forest,” Santiago said. “He loves walking around there.”

Last year, Fugu even got a chance to see the Quidditch World Cup Finals on Battell Beach. Fugu has also embraced the “Midd Kid” culture.

“He has more Middlebury apparel than I do,” Santiago said.

Among Fugu’s Middlebury wardrobe are two Middlebury T-shirts, a Middkid T-shirt, and a Breadloaf School of English T-shirt. Additionally, Fugu sports an angel-wing Valentine’s Day sweater, a Halloween costume, and some new winter gear: a raincoat. For last year’s Halloween, Fugu wore an angel costume Santiago made herself. This year, he joined the Halloween celebrations in town dressed as a pumpkin.

Having Fugu on campus has made Santiago’s life at Middlebury slightly different from the average student’s. Santiago finds that although Fugu is a big responsibility, he is also a stress reliever and a constant companion.

“He’s my kid,” Santiago said. “He gives me something to look forward to. I mean, who doesn’t want to come home to a rabbit?”

Santiago has plans in place for Fugu in case of emergencies, having communicated with her three suitemates to come up with a fire escape plan.

“If it’s at night, because I would have to go down the stairs and turn away from the door to get him, the friend would get him and transfer him to me when we’re outside and safe,” Santiago said. “Otherwise I grab him and run. But I won’t leave without him.”

Santiago has also collaborated with friends in order to ensure that Fugu always has someone to look after him; given the complications of transporting him back to Brooklyn for breaks, he often needs babysitters over shorter breaks.

Santiago and Fugu became a recognizable campus duo soon after Santiago’s arrival freshman year, and she has found that there are always people ready to stop and talk when they see her and Fugu on walks.

“I don’t mind when people ask questions but it’s weird when you’re walking down the street and people start recognizing you as ‘the girl with the rabbit,’” Santiago said. “That’s not the name I expected to make for myself at Middlebury.”

Ada feels very strongly about the fact that some students identify her as “the rabbit girl.” While she is open to people asking about Fugu, she wants people to recognize that there is more to her persona than the cute rabbit by her side.

Ada and Fugu have a lot to look forward to in the future. Fugu’s specific breed of rabbit, called the Netherland Dwarf, usually lives up to 10 or 12 years. Ada is planning on studying abroad in Brazil next year and will be taking Fugu with her.

“Well, Fugu’s pretty much going with me wherever I go,” she said. “When I go to graduate school he’s coming with me. My hope would be that he would be around to see the birth of my first kid. But that may be pushing it. It’s possible, but not definite.”

Whatever the case, Santiago and Fugu have made a home for themselves at Middlebury and are here to stay.