Campus Poll - 12/03/09

Audio produced by Amanda Pertierra

I can see myself working within a quota because I can see myself paying for it after a certain point. It depends — if a class requires a lot of printing, I think that each class should have a certain quota. A professor should be given a quota too, so that we can work within it. We should have a quota after that, but it should be an exceptional amount, I’m sure someone can figure that out.

—Hunter Chamberlain ’12

It depends on the quota. It will only work if the library takes measures to determine a set number of pages for students depending on the number of classes you’re taking. Some majors require more pages than others. I’m not very happy to hear it, but at the same time, it’s good that we’re taking responsiblity for our waste. I see that people print stuff that they don’t really have to print. I’m not sure yet; I’d have to see about the quota.

—Rosa Saavedra ’10

It’s kind of ridiculous that, in addition to what we already pay to go here, we also pay for printing. It’s required for school, so it’s unnecessary that we pay out of our own pocket.

—Michael Hilgendorf ’13

I’m not happy about it, because I’m a person who needs to print out papers and articles in order to read them and really understand them. I have extensive readings that I wouldn’t have comprehended as well if I had just read them off of a screen, and as it is, we do pay a large comprehensive fee.

—Sara Cohen ’12

I’m not really happy at the possibility of paying for printing, but I guess I’m trying to reduce my printing since I don’t want to pay my fees. I think sustainability is important, but I don’t think paying is the best way to reduce printing. I think the printing system itself needs to be improved as well — there are printers that have the default setting as printing one sided. Also, the printing system itself can be problematic in terms of efficiency — sometimes printers break down, and I realize it’s hard, but clearly there are problems that need to be fixed. Another problem is that sometimes teachers demand that we print things out when it could easily just be submitted by e-mail or something like that.

—Ralph Acevedo ’11