Club Midd: Athletic adventures at Middlebury

By now I’m sure all of you –– even the incoming first-years –– are familiar with the stereotype (and I mean that in the truest form of the word) that Middlebury students are insanely athletic. Our dominant varsity sports line-up, which contributed to a solid #4 ranking in the Director’s Cup last school year (go Panthers!), can attest to that, but so too can the myriad extracurricular offerings for the other athletically-inclined students on campus. From club sports like crew and sailing to the beguilingly mysterious night running club, MchakaMchaka, Middlebury is full of opportunities to get involved, get outdoors and get in shape. With a stunning backdrop of mountains adorned with vibrant foliage so colorful it looks fake, being active has never been so enticing. Even the mud-covered Quidditch players who flock to Battell Beach every Sunday look like they’re having fun. So, using this preview as your guide, step up to the plate, hop on board, saddle up and get athletic with Middlebury clubs.

Crew: The Middlebury club crew team, despite being cut off from college funding last fall, has developed into an up and coming program that is poised to break out into the upper echelons of the New England rowing competition in the near future. The team is in the process of transitioning from a four-seat to an eight-seat program, and will be racing exclusively eight-seat boats this fall. Men’s and women’s teams alternate morning and afternoon practices out on Lake Dunmore every weekday, and will be racing in three regattas over the course of the fall season –– New Hampshire Championships, the Head of the Charles and the Head of the Fish. They will be looking for redemption at the Head of the Charles this year, after suffering an unfortunate combination of equipment failures and bad luck at last year’s regatta. The team is optimistic after returning nearly all their rowers from last season, and is growing in size and strength as its rowers progress through the program –– the men’s and women’s varsity squads have now total over 30 members combined.

Sailing: With scenic Lake Dunmore as their venue, the Middlebury College Sailing Club (MCSC) practices three times a week (Tues-Thurs) and competes in regattas throughout New England on the weekends. The club is growing fast (apparently people have caught on to the fact that beautiful location + boats = one of the best ways to spend an afternoon) and welcomes members of all skill levels. The racing team, which consists of about 25 members, commits to two practices a week and sails at the more competitive regattas, whereas less experienced sailors can participate in the open invitationals. Anyone is encouraged to show up to rec sailing, which is offered Friday afternoons.
“There is honestly no better way to unwind after a difficult day of classes than by feeling the wind propelling you across the lake while enjoying a friendly competition,” said Vice Commodore Bianca Dragone ’12. So come down to Dunmore the next Friday you can, bring a friend, and spend the afternoon sailing. I know I’ll be there.

Equestrian: The Middlebury equestrian team, despite its small size, remains a strong contender in its division –– Zone 1, region 2 of the Intercollegiate Horse Show Association (IHSA) –– and regularly qualifies riders to compete in region, zone, and even national championships. Practices are held at The Equestry in New Haven, Vt., which will also be the venue of the show they are hosting this fall, on Sunday, Oct. 10 (spectators appreciated). The team has a strong core of devoted and committed riders, who support each other in and out of the ring.
“Above all, we just have a really good time together,” said club treasurer Miriam Rose Baker ’10. “We take riding seriously but still keep being on the team fun and a positive experience for riders at all levels.” The team also offers riding lessons that count for a P.E. credit.

Midd for Play: For those of you who miss the child within, I suggest you head down to the steps of Mead Chapel on weekday afternoons, where Midd for Play meets daily to provide a relaxed forum for fun and exercise. Featuring a diverse array of sports and outdoor games, this club provides a great opportunity to blow off some steam and de-stress before starting your work. Every session offers two activities, which can range from running and climbing at the rock wall to more organized sports such as IM soccer, basketball, or squash. Friday capture-the-flag and kickball games can usually be counted on to draw a crowd.
The club was started two years ago, and has picked up steam since Rob Johnson ’12.5 and Lucas Braun ’12.5 took over last year. Rob has big plans for expanding the club, and hopes to attract a large group of enthusiastic first-years this fall (not hard to find). “Having more of a routine and exercising every day really cemented my transition to Middlebury,” said Rob.

Ultimate Frisbee: The men’s and women’s Ultimate teams combine the rigor of a good workout with all the silliness and fun that should be inherent in any sport. The fall season is Co-ed and practices are held Tues-Thurs from 4:00-6:30; while attendance is not mandatory, colorful spandex is. On the weekends, the team travels to fun-filled events called tournaments, where they play six to eight games and usually acquit themselves well (both the men and women qualified for Nationals last spring).
“Basically, frisbee is great for anyone who wants to work hard and also have fun,” said captain Hannah Waite ’11. “We take our practices seriously and make them good, hard athletic practices.” However, she added, “don’t be intimidated if you want to just try it and come to practice. We also throw fun parties.”

Climbing wall: For those who shun structure, the opportunity to climb at the rock wall in Kenyon gym provides a relaxed atmosphere to work out and develop some great back muscles in the company of other climbers. The wall is open Monday-Thurs from 3-9 p.m., Friday from 3-6 p.m. and Sunday from 6-9 p.m. Getting big, however, is not the only benefit of showing up at the rock wall.
“If you ever thought ‘I’d like to go do something cool outside,’ the rock wall would be a great introduction to people who, in the words of Madonna, take you there,” said climber Sam Hathaway ’12. “Rock climbing has always been a great way to experience the Vermont scenery from above the canopy and the rock wall can be a sort of stepping stone on your way there.”