College honors memory of MLK, Jr.

Author: Kate Lupo

From the spire of Mead Chapel to the intimate setting of the Ross Fireplace Lounge, the message of Martin Luther King, Jr. pervaded the College last week. Through joyous singing, compelling speeches and meaningful discussions, the College community collectively celebrated King's massive contributions to civil rights in America.

Two highly anticipated and memorable events occurred on campus on Jan. 15th, King's birthday - "Remembrance and Reflection: A Tribute to Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr." and "Let Freedom Sing! Martin Luther King Day Concert." The tribute to King featured a talk by Dean for Institutional Diversity Shirley Ramirez follwing remarks by President of the College Ronald D. Liebowitz and Governor Jim Douglas (R-Vt.). Excerpts from King's speeches were read aloud by students while Twilight Artist-in-Residence FranÁois Clemmons provided musical contributions to the event.

Later on in the evening, anticipation mounted as students, faculty, staff and Middlebury residents readied for, "Let Freedom Sing! A Celebration of the American Negro Spiritual and the Life and Words of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.," held in Mead Chapel. The program, directed by Mike Kiernan, featured dramatic readings of King's speeches by New York actor Esau Pritchett and Negro spirituals performed by Clemmons and 80 members of the Middlebury Spiritual Choir. Pritchett hopes he can come back again next year "because events like this are truly valuable. It doesn't matter what color you are, everyone can enjoy and celebrate the overall message of a performance like this," he said.

Furthering Pritchett's sentiments, Clemmons said, "For the past eight years I have been able to watch the support for this great man's legacy grow more and more into today's community-wide celebration. It's most heartening to see the College and the community join together in song and spirit to dialogue, examine and share the true meaning of non-violent civil disobedience, which was at the core of Dr. King's civil rights message."

Blake Johnson '10 said of the event, "I found the MLK Memorial Event to be not only a worthy tribute to one of the greatest men of the twentieth century, but also a vehicle for bringing people together for a common goal - peace and equality among people of all races, creeds and faiths."

In addition to Monday night's events at Mead, Tuesday night brought a special performance to Ross Fireplace Lounge when Esau Pritchett re-emerged alongside actor Christopher Burris to star in Blue Door, a new play written by Tanya Barfield. The show, originally intended for two men, was extended to include five College students - Ekow Edzie '10, Sparkle Joyner '10, Sheyenne Brown '09, Muchadei Zvoma '07 and Knef King '08.

The script revolves around Lewis (played by Burris), a mathematician who has spent his whole life trying to escape his identity as an African American. One night, however, Lewis is visited by the ghosts of his ancestors - men and women who have lived through significant times in African American history from the pre-Civil War era, Reconstruction, and the Black Power movement. These figures from the past recount scenes of their lives, narrating their struggles, loves, happiness and pain.

Edzie, a member of the show, said, "Acting in this play was a great experience. Essau and Chris are phenomenal. I went into it thinking it would just be an interesting thing to try, the whole storytelling aspect of theatre. After reading over the script I knew there was obviously something more to it, but I honestly didn't realize the show's power until the opening night," he said, adding, "It was definitely one of the most rewarding plays I've been in." Visiting Lecturer in Theatre Dana Yeaton, an organizer of the event, hopes that the performance of Blue Door could become an annual event. Next year though, he "hopes to open up the play to not just African American students, but to anyone who wishes to participate."

Finally, King's spirit was solemnized through the video displays of Eyes On The Prize, a 14-hour television series produced in 1987. Television sets in Bi-Hall, McCullough, and the entrance of the New Library looped the movie throughout the day. The series contains exclusive interviews with Malcolm X, Rosa Parks and MLK himself. This footage brings to life the people, places and events that made the Civil Rights Movement one of the most turbulent times in American history.

King's short life stirs "what-if" conversations even today. "If Dr. King were alive today I'm sure he'd be involved in many of the important and often controversial issues which occupy us now like global warming, stem-cell research, white privilege, discrimination based on sexual preference, our war in Iraq and Afghanistan, modern slavery, etc.," said Clemmons. He added, "Dr. King was not a fearful man and I'm sure he would have spoken out on all of these issues."