College welcomes new first-year class

The Class of 2014 landed on campus a week ago, and the overwhelming enthusiasm of 580 students from 36 countries canceled any lethargy the muggy weather may have caused. Through the five-day orientation program, the first-years enjoyed many long-standing traditions like the square dance and the all-campus barbecue, and they also delved into the many academic, social and personal opportunities the College offers.

Students were given a portrayal of academic discussion at the College, when they discussed T.C. Boyle’s Tortilla Curtain at the mandatory Commons reading. This year’s class also saw a new addition to orientation, with a celebration banquet at Nelson Recreational Center followed by a dance performance and dance party at the Mahaney Center for the Arts.

Though the MiddView/MOO outdoor orientation trip was canceled this year, the Middlebury Mountain Club has taken pains to provide the Outdoor Orientation for New Kids (OINK) alternative, which will run this weekend. With options including backpacking, rock climbing, canoeing, whitewater kayaking, trail maintenance, organic farming, local natural history and ecology, contemplative practices and human services trips, the lucky Middlebury students who win spots on the trip will receive an excellent introduction to the greater environment and geography the College is set in.

For more coverage of orientation, see this week's Features section.