College's affiliate artists collaborate in eclectic concert

From bagpipes to bassoon, from harmonica to horn, Middlebury College’s private music teachers put together an assorted performance of jazz, blues, classical, folk and new music at the Mahaney Center for the Arts on Saturday.

Setting the tone of the show, guitarist Dayve Huckett played a series of self-composed songs, together with Rachel Elliot (bassoon), Mia Fritze (French horn), Stevel Klimowski (clarinet), and Lindsay Selin ’11 (viola). Those of us who are too used to the guitars in popular culture may have been surprised by the chemistry of woodwind, brass and guitar.

AffiliateArtists-11-06-2010-300x225

The energy carried on to the concertino performed by flutist Anne Janson and pianist Natasha Koval Paden. The expressive piece, played with skillful technique, sounded as if a nightingale was dancing on sunshine.

The high note of flute and piano was then countered with the low vibratory sound of bassoon and bass clarinet played by Rachael Elliot and Steven Klimowski.  The performed piece Black by Marc Mellits was a conversation between the two instruments tossing around sound in a fun rhythm. The breathtaking beauty of harmony left the audience wondering when the performers actually managed to take their breaths.

Mark Lavoie wowed the audience by his talent of juggling voice and harmonica in a solo call and response. It was hard to believe that the mellow tune and the sound of honeybee both came out of a single harmonica.

Chilly Winds performed by Pete Sutherland (banjo/violin), Tim Cummings (smallpipes/border pipes), and Mark Lavoie (harmonica) took the audience up into the mountains. The sustained note of the bagpipes changed the atmosphere of the Concert Hall completely, and the audience could not resist the temptation to move their heads together with the contagious synchronized tapping of the three performers.

Pianist Natasha Koval Paden played L’Isle Joyeuse by Claude Debussy, an emotional piece expressing various degrees of pleasure. The best joy of the performance, however, was Paden’s smile full of enjoyment of the music.

The show wrapped up with a series of upbeat jazz performed by Miles Donahue (tenor sax/trumpet), Dick Forman (piano), Glendon Ingalls (bass), Bear Irwin (trombone) and Russ Lawton (drums). Taking turns in beautiful improvisation, the leadership of Forman shined as he tied the band together with such ease and casualness. The lively sound made on the spot sent the audience home with excitement that carried on even after the show.

The breadth of the music genres and the variety of instruments played in the concert brought delight to all. It is truly an honor to have such talented performers as affiliate artists of Middlebury College. Students should take advantage of this wonderful college resource, and pay closer attention to the arts calendar of events. Free lively music by talented musicians is definitely worth the hike to the CFA on a Saturday night.