Crew looks to build on spring success

Step aside, UVM; the title of first-ranked men’s varsity four boat in New England now belongs to Middlebury. The Middlebury men’s and women’s crew teams have started off the spring season with admirable success, capturing several first-place finishes in their regattas the past two weekends. The program, which has had to become largely self-sufficient in terms of funding this year, is nevertheless as strong as it has ever been, and the teams are excited to carry this confidence into their final races of the season.

Two weeks ago Middlebury crew raced at the Big Three regatta against Bowdoin and Amherst, two of the team’s principal rivals. The regatta was only for boats of four, which is Middlebury’s strong suit, although the team is currently transitioning to an eights program.

Middlebury dominated the competition, as the men’s first, second and third boats won their heats and the women’s first and second boats also emerged victorious.

“Our success is a testament to the hard work that we put in starting in September and running straight through fall and winter to the spring season,” said men’s captain Michael Chock ’11.

Rower Brooks Coe ’12 added, “It was the highlight of our year thus far.”

Last weekend the teams traveled to Saratoga Springs to take on the formidable UVM and lesser foes Albany and Skidmore. The men’s first varsity four and eight boats beat UVM, while the women’s four won convincingly against Albany and Skidmore and their first eight lost to UVM.

“Middlebury crew has never been as fast or as strong as it is now,” said Chock.

The teams are pumped up for their next two big regattas, New Englands on May 1-2 and the Dad Vail Regatta in Philadelphia on May 7-8. The men and women plan to focus on their fours in these regattas, as their competitive edge lies in this boats.