Crummy days cured at Vt. Cookie Love

The aroma of fresh baked cookies that pervades Vermont Cookie Love is enough to make anyone’s mouth water. Owners Suzanna Miller and Paul Seyler opened the North Ferrisburgh retail store and 1,500-square foot production facility in December 2008 and have been baking fresh baked cookies ever since.
Originally from New York City, Miller and Seyler moved to Vermont two years after their first child was born. The move was more than just a change of scenery, however; Seyler gave up his career as a sommelier, and Miller scaled back her career as a lawyer when the two decided to start a new business. When Miller and Seyler could not decide if they should open a burrito truck or a cookie store, they decided to combine the two ideas. Thus, the unique idea of “dough-ritos,” or logs of cookie dough in the shape of a burrito, was born.
The concept took off. Miller and Seyler’s treats were met with high demand when they were first sold at the Shelburne Farmer’s Market in June 2007. Their dough soon found its way into more than 20 local stores. The couple took the final step in 2008: they opened their store, appropriately dubbed “The Love Shack” on Route 7 in North Ferrisburgh. Miller and Seyler continue to sell a wide variety of flavors of their homemade dough both in the store and in local grocery stores, including the Middlebury Natural Foods Co-op. In October 2009, the Rachel Ray Show featured Vermont Cookie Love.
In addition to the dough, freshly baked cookies are available hot out of the oven at the Love Shack. The store sells anywhere from two to 20 dozen cookies a day. Flavors include oatmeal with cranberries, triple chocolate chip, peanut butter chocolate chip, mocha chocolate chip, sugar, chocolate chip butterscotch, pumpkin chocolate chip and the original chocolate chip, the most popular. Other than the butterscotch cookie, Miller’s favorite, the cookies are made with only natural ingredients and local butter, eggs and cocoa. This standard is just part of the store’s mission, which also includes producing cookies in an environmentally conscious way and supporting local schools.
In the past two months, Seyler and Miller have expanded their baked good business to include scones, or “Love Triangles.” As Seyler says, “The Triangle is between the scone, the oven and you.” The scones are available baked fresh at the Love Shack and will soon join the dough-ritos in grocery freezers as ready-to-bake goodies. Another upcoming addition to Vermont Cookie Love’s frozen lineup is two flavors of cookies and cream ice cream, featuring Vermont ice cream powerhouse Wilcox’s ice cream and bits of true cookie love.

IMG_9516-300x225
According to Miller, the main factor responsible for the cookie’s popularity is their chewiness. She said that her use of canola oil in addition to butter adds to their chewy consistency and makes them even more delicious. Although the ingredients used are listed on the packages of dough, the actual recipe is a secret, and was only developed after months of experimenting and testing by Miller, Seyler and heir friends.
For Miller, baking homemade chocolate chip cookies is a sign of love. Her passion for baking dates back to her childhood, when she and her family would come together and bake cookies as a way of bonding. For this reason, the store’s name has a deeper meaning. Love permeates the store’s website, http://vermontcookielove.com, where visitors can learn more about the business’ “Love Flavors,” “Love Offerings,” “Love Story” and more.
“It feels good to make people happy,” said Suzanna, who stressed that perhaps the best thing about owning a cookie shop is “the reactions we get every day.” The fact that Vermont Cookie Love is a true product of her and her husband’s creative vision makes her proud.
The store’s hours change with the seasons; Vermont Cookie Love is currently open Tuesday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. and on weekends from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.