Dean's List Breaking it off with CSO

Author: Dean Atyia

Dear Career Services Office,

We had a very productive relationship up until last week, and for that I thank you. It started as a casual interchange; I had just broken up with my last conduit to gainful employment, and you were wearing that really pretty little alumni search bit, you remember the one. We had a cup of coffee, chatted, and before I knew what hit me you had downloaded my resume. Everything was gravy. Jobs were coming in, the money was rolling, and we were happy.

Then summertime came, and I went away. You told me to go, and I did. I was so stupid! Now that I've come back, everything is different. You're so needy and totally unfair. "Come to the senior meeting," you begged. "If you don't come to the 'Get the Job You Want' seminar, we're through!" you so unjustifiably shouted. Well let me tell you something, CSO, your new haircut looks stupid.

I went to the meeting and played the part you wanted me to. I'm not upset that there were other people seeking your attention; I'm not jealous. Sure, it made me uncomfortable. Sure it was a little impersonal, making me feel like one of the many, but we're the new generation. We don't need labels because I know how you really feel. Anyway, the PowerPoint got going, and I started to remember why we first got together. All those charts and graphs that apply to such a large and diverse audience equally well just makes my knees wobble. It's like we're all the same person with the same hopes and dreams! You always were so good with people. But then you crossed the line.

Slide Number Whatever - Flawed Thought Processes When Nearing Graduation (or something to that effect): 1. I'll just look for a job after I graduate. Clearly that's not me. Who would be silly enough to wait that long? 2. The job I get now will be the one I have for the rest of my life. You're right again, baby. I was worried about taking a job that I might not want to do forever, but you've opened my eyes to professional and lateral mobility and made it very clear that I don't have to find the perfect job right now. 3. That job is outside my major. I didn't come to a liberal arts school for nothing. Thanks for reminding me that I've got a great basis for a large number of career paths whether or not I've been directly trained for them. 4. I can always just go to law school. That's it. I've had it. Take back your stupid MOJO Access! We're through!

Seriously, at the meeting the other day, CSO Executive Director Jaye Roseborough mentioned that so many undergraduates, when not being able to find something to do after graduation, simply decide on a kick and whim to go to law school. Then she had the audacity to say that anyone from Middlebury can get into a good law school and that if you're not practicing law, a Juris Doctorate has no place in your professional life. I haven't been studying for the LSAT for six months because I think it will be easy to get into law school. I've had hopes of going for three years, so please don't tell me that I'm whimsical. Finally, I'm taking a year off so that I can be sure it's something I really want to do. But I understand you may not have been talking to me, so here's where I really got my heart broken. I visited CSO the other day, told them I was applying to law schools, and asked where I should have my recommendations filed before sending them with applications. It was like no one had ever asked that question before, and the answer I got was basically kicking me out the door on my own.

Next time you're helping me achieve my future goals, try not to step on my dreams. I'm really glad I've had the opportunity to work out my frustrations on paper because if we did this in person, we both know that there would have been shouting, and sometimes you get violent. I hope we can get back to where we were. I love you.