Dear President Liebowitz

Author: ALEX DEMAS '06

Over the past year and a half at Middlebury I have seen a dramatic change in the social life here on campus. My freshman year I went to one off-campus party while social house parties were the prevailing social scene. The current trend on campus, however, is that on-campus parties are hardly worth going to and that off-campus parties are the thing to do and the place to be seen. Why has this occurred, you ask?

I cite three specific reasons. First, the new Vermont state liquor inspector. Secondly, the local police are allowed jurisdiction on campus. Third, there is inaction and ambivalence on the part of the administration to act in students' interest.

With the new interpretation of Vermont state laws by the liquor inspector, social houses are required to have guest lists for parties. This, in turn, isolates most students from even being able to enter the party, which obviously was not the case before this fall. Are Middlebury students allowed to blow off steam on campus during weekends? The obvious answer is no and the solution is off campus parties.

The problem is that the state liquor inspector has purposefully derailed the possibility for well-organized transportation to and from these off-campus parties, therefore putting hundreds of students at risk of losing their lives. The debacle that was seen this weekend only augments my argument. Congratulations, Mr. Michael G. Davidson, I hope your goal has been achieved.

Another catalyst of this phenomenon is my second point, the intrusion of local police onto campus grounds. Under the open container law police are stopping kids on campus, breathalyzing them, and booking them on a hunch that there has been underage drinking. This strikes me as a violation of civil rights. What better way to force kids into a covert and dangerous drinking environment?

Finally, I blame the administration, and more specifically President Liebowitz, for having fallen off the ball in the last two years. Under the reign of Johnny Mac the police wouldn't even think of stepping foot on campus. What's going on, Liebo?

Stop worrying about acquiring the Monterey Institute and focus on what is going on in your own backyard.

In conclusion, I can only hope and pray that eyes are opening. Let's talk about this! As a student body we need to stand up for what we want and need to be successful here. We cannot afford ambivalence because it allows the administration to be equally ambivalent.