E-mail Roundup

Author: Tess Russell

Subject: October is Fire Safety Month!

Earlier this month, students were informed of impending fire safety checks in their respective dormitories, a notice that was "not intended to serve as a discrete reminder" to hide candles, incense, halogen lamps, portable heaters, or Christmas tree lights - though, in case you are wondering, all of those things are strictly forbidden. Fire safety can also "nail" you for putting screws in your wall, hanging tapestries from your sprinklers and smoking. But look on the bright side: with the inspectors poking around at top volume for a week's worth of mornings, you can give T.I. (via your cell phone alarm) a much needed vacation.

Subject: ***FLU SHOT CLINICS***

The Health Center employed Clip Art to great effect last week - after all, nothing puts the fear of God into college students like an expired-looking smiley face cartoon staring at the business end of a thermometer. Shots will cost $10, payable by cash, check, charge or debit, and will be admininstered in the Health Center next week on Wednesday, Nov. 5 from 1-4 p.m., Friday, Nov. 7 from 9 a.m. - 12 p.m. or 1-4 p.m., or by special appointment. Be sure to arrive early, as the clinics filled quickly last year. Getting a voluntary shot may seem neurotic, but you will have the last laugh come finals week, when the Midd Express supplies of cough drops and Kleenex have dwindled and your housemates all resemble redder, phleghmier versions of the aforementioned scary smiley.

Subject: Middlebury College Facilities Services Newsletter

This handy October briefing included information about the removal of a sugar maple near Painter Hall, project updates on everything from Bread Loaf to the Biomass facility, a centerfold featuring the sexy new solar panels recently installed on the roof of 107 Shannon Street and, thrill of all thrills, an informative expose on "Mold Remediation" in the workplace. Apparently, that "musty" odor originates when mold spores release mircobial volatile organic compounds - who knew? And what in the world is a microbial volatile organic compound? In all seriousness, untreated mold growth in buildings can, in some cases, produce mycotoxins, which contribute to adverse health effects like immune system suppression, acute or chronic liver or nervous system damage, endocrine effects and cancer. Too bad there is no shot to inoculate you against those bad boys.