Early Decision I application numbers remain steady

Though applications may continue to trickle in since the Nov. 15 Early Decision I deadline, data from the Office of Admissions reveals that the number of early applicants for the Class of 2015, 663, roughly equals numbers for the Class of 2014 and 2013 — 665 and 672, respectively.
This high number of ED I applicants, while unusual on the national level, is not an anomaly for the College’s Admissions Office. The College is often a national leader in the number of total ED applicants. In 2009, with the exception of one other institution, the College had the largest number of ED I and Early Decision II [ED II] applicants of any NESCAC college or peer institution.
At peer institutions, the average number of total ED I and ED II applicants ranges anywhere from 400 to 500. Between EDI and ED II applications, the College usually sees a combined total of anywhere from 600 to 1000 prospective students.
“For whatever reason, Middlebury seems to attract more early applicants [than other peer institutions]”, said Dean of Admissions Bob Clagett. “When students like Middlebury, they really like Middlebury.”
Despite the high numbers of ED applicants, according to Clagett, “the reality is, applying ED [to Middlebury] does not give a strategic advantage in being admitted.”
This is due to the College’s rigorous evaluation process.
“We don’t admit anyone early unless we are virtually certain that we would take them Regular Decision,” added Clagett.
Both the Class of 2013 and the Class of 2014 have a high percentage of students admitted through ED.
“We admitted about 45 percent of the class ED the last two years because the quality [of the students] was there [in the ED applicant pools],” said Clagett.
One concern that prospective applicants may have with the ED option is the question of financial aid.  Students may wonder whether the amount of financial aid they receive would be different if they applied Regular Decision.  While the ED option does prevent an applicant from comparing multiple financial aid packages from different institutions, Clagett emphasized that the amount of financial aid a student receives is completely non-contingent on when the applicant applies.
“The admissions and student financial services offices apply the same criteria for both ED and Regular Decision candidates when they are making admissions and financial aid decisions,” said Clagett.
Students admitted through ED also retain the option to take a gap year after they graduate from high school.
“[We are] encouraging the possibility of students considering taking a gap year,” said Clagett. “We [the Admissions Office] believe strongly that students who take a gap year can benefit greatly from doing so. Anything to get students to focus on what their education is really about.”
The admissions office spends the month following the Nov. 15 deadline reading and thoroughly evaluating the applications.  The evaluation process is thorough and individualized.
“We [the admissions office] are in the middle of reading at this point,” said Clagett. “This is crunch time.”
The admissions office will go into committee after they have finished their initial readings of each application to discuss each applicant as a group.
ED I decisions will be mailed out on Dec. 10; however, there is also an electronic release, so most students will be able to access their decisions on the morning of Dec. 12.
After the Office of Admissions releases their ED I decisions, they will repeat the process again for the ED II and Regular Decision applicants.  For both applicant pools, the College’s own supplement is due on Dec. 15 and the Common Application is due on Dec. 31. ED II applicants will be notified Feb. 12 and Regular Decision applicants will be notified on Mar. 26.