Eating Disorder event brings hope Students share their experiences

On Friday, March 11 a group of students, faculty and community members gathered in the Gamut Room to promote awareness of and to celebrate hope for those with or recovering from eating disorders such as anorexia and bulimia. The program, aptly entitled "Hope," included song and dance performances, personal reflections from those who have suffered from eating disorders and stories from friends who had helped them to overcome and heal from their experiences.

The program was sponsored by Feminist Action at Middlebury (FAM). Organized by President Lauren Curatolo '06 and members Trinity Gaddy '06 and Assia Elgouacem '06, the event dealt with many of the emotions surrounding eating disorders, from guilt, pain and loneliness to the hope and joy of recovery. The quote at the top of the event program encapsulated the gravity of the topic - "Anorexia and bulimia affect nearly 10 million women and one million men (primarily teens and young adults) in reported cases in the U.S. Eating disorders are real and can have life-threatening consequences (National Eating Disorders Association)."

The performances, however, captured the hopeful side of this very real problem. Priscilla Sinclair '07 performed an original dance piece entitled "Help Me Believe," that poignantly reflected the turmoil experienced by those suffering from eating disorders. Sinclair felt that the event was a great forum for people to share their experiences. She remarked, "I was extremely happy to perform that night. I think more people should be able to talk about things as important as this. It's more common than people think and the little comments we make do have a great impact on a person."

In a personal reflection entitled "Letting Go," Curatolo spoke about her struggle with bulimia following a trip to India that left her overwhelmed with guilt about the suffering that she witnessed there. "Eating disorders mirror the lack of control one has in a world that assumes control over people," she said. "For me, dealing with bulimia was more about dealing with how I thought the world wanted me to be, and more importantly, I manifested the pain that I felt living in a world that was so torn asunder by war and poverty, oppression and violence, especially against women and children. It was my source of control in a world that seemed uncontrollable," said Curatolo.

Although many of the performers reflected on the negative influence that other people and society in general can have on one's self esteem, there was also a great emphasis on the power of love and friendship to heal emotional wounds. Many shared how they had overcome their disorders with the support of friends and family, as well as professional help. After long internal struggles, many participants said they had come to the conclusion that the purpose of life is to live, rather than subject oneself to the serious health problems related to anorexia and bulimia.

The event not only aimed to raise awareness of eating disorders as real and prevalent problems but also gave an overwhelming message of hope for overcoming them. Curatolo felt that the event "was one of the greatest ones for FAM and was a testament to the fact that in the face of such huge epidemics, unity serves as the greatest force of change." The sincere and touching revelations of the performers, along with the support of friends and strangers alike in the audience, created a feeling of solidarity and compassion that echoed far beyond the walls of the Gamut Room.

As a continuation of the event, there will be a meeting held on Wednesday, April 6 in Pearsons' Lounge for those who are interested in learning about how to help a friend with an eating disorder.