Editorial Forward with departmental fusion

The Faculty Council should adopt the proposal offered by the Educational Affairs Committee (EAC) for the establishment of an English and American Literature major. The current separation of the two departments is an academic anachronism. The College is the only institution in the country that divides the study of Anglophone literature into separate fields.

That the proposal is supported by majorities in both departments and unanimously by the Student Educational Affairs Committee is testament to its validity.

As the curriculum stands now, English majors at the College are inadequately versed in American literature, a shortcoming that College professors have acknowledged as a serious hindrance to students wishing to pursue graduate study in English.

Because there is no way to pursue a graduate degree in American literature exclusively, American Literature majors are also unable to further their literary educations without building a foundation in English literature. The study of American literature at the College would actually be enhanced by increased exposure to English literature, literary theory and the history of literature in a global context, regardless of students' post-Middlebury plans.

Although English majors can currently count two classes from the American Literature Department in their majors, because the courses in the College Catalogue are separated, students often do not take advantage of this opportunity and are not made aware of the repercussions their undergraduate course selection can have on graduate applications.

A combined curriculum culminating in J-Term comprehensive exams covering British, American and post-colonial texts would give Middlebury literature students the academic edge necessary to be among the most competitive graduate students and better prepare them to teach literature at the high school level.

Though the creation of a new Department of English and American Literature is certainly the right step for the College, all efforts must be made to ensure that the number of quality courses covering American authors is maintained. Students should be able to select seminars and lecture-based courses dealing exclusively in American poets, novelists and dramatists if they choose to do so. The legacy of the American Literature department can and should continue to distinguish the study of literature at the College from its peer institutions, but not continue to limit the literary exposure of English majors.

The formation of an American Studies major is also the right choice for a College at which interdisciplinary majors such as International Studies and Environmental Studies are among the most popular fields of study. The introduction of an American Studies program would also make the College's interdisciplinary curriculum more congruous.

It is lamentable that the discussions surrounding the proposed department merger have been marred by flaring tempers. No matter what decision is reached at the November faculty meeting, it can only be hoped that the outcome is handled in a professional manner.