editorial Student disappearance highlights need for safety assessment

Students returned to campus Monday to the unsettling news that first-year Nicholas Garza, an Allen resident and member of Atwater Commons, had been missing for close to a week. The news, divulged to the community by e-mail, took on even greater significance as members of Vermont search and rescue teams spread out over campus. The news of Garza's disappearance has shocked our normally untroubled campus, casting the beginning of the semester in an uncommonly somber light.

In retrospect, it is easy to wonder why administrators waited to alert the College community to Garza's disappearance until Monday morning, particularly after learning that fellow students raised concerns about his whereabouts as early as Feb. 6. The incident only emphasizes the importance of erring on the side of caution when it comes to students' safety and wellbeing. That said, College administrators have conducted themselves appropriately in the difficult days since the announcement, and have done an admirable job of aiding the search efforts and communicating with Garza's family, students on campus and members of the outside community about the progress of the ongoing investigation. Similarly, we can only commend the tireless work being done by search and rescue agencies and the volunteers who are scouring the campus for signs of Garza.

Garza's disappearance is a blow to the community, ultimately shattering students' perception of insulation from the dangers of the real world. While the exact circumstances of his disappearance are still unknown, the situation forces us to consider the issue of safety on campus from both individual and institutional perspectives. The events of the past week act as a frightening reminder of the necessity for students to be mindful of their individual wellbeing and the wellbeing of those around them. Dress appropriately for the cold weather and keep others well informed of your whereabouts. Avoid walking alone after dark, and if you are going to drink, do so responsibly. Take advantage, too, of the tools the College has in place to promote student safety, such as the Midd Rides program and Public Safety escorts.

The administration must also take this time to reflect on ways in which it can improve its response to dangers on campus. Though the College understandably operates at a diminished capacity during academic breaks, offices like the Department of Public Safety and the Health Center have an obligation to those students remaining on campus and should not significantly reduce their services. The College must continue efforts begun in earnest several years ago to secure residential spaces, extending the the access card system to include small houses and other College properties that are not currently covered. While Public Safety officers do an admirable job of being visible on campus, increased outdoor patrols after dark would reassure students and foster increased safety. The College should also reassess the blue light system, investing not only in better lighting across campus but also in more emergency call stations.

The College's energy at this time is necessarily devoted to bringing about a speedy and successful resolution to Garza's disappearance. Our thoughts and prayers are with Garza and his family and friends during this difficult time, and we hold out hope for a safe and happy conclusion.