Editorial The 2005 Campus Community Awards

Author: [no author name found]

Of course, there are so many different people and organizations at this College that are deserving of an award, for the work they do and for the contributions they make to the College community. However, as it is the season for giving special mention for particular deeds done, The Campus would like to bestow the following awards on the following deserving recipients. Before you groan and turn the page, worry not: this awards ceremony will not take three hours to complete.

The award for Constructive Commentary goes to the Community Council for the open-forum held at Dana Auditorium on Monday afternoon. The Council and members of the Middlebury College community who participated should be applauded for taking part in the discussion on the College's anti-discrimination policy and how it is implemented with regards to on-campus recruiting. As many present articulated, discussion of ideas and contrasting viewpoints is the backbone of a liberal arts education, both in and out of the classroom. Though few people came to agreement over every point that was raised - and the focus tended to shift from the anti-discrimination policy to the military's "Don't ask, Don't tell" standard - the open-forum was an irrefutable demonstration of why constructive dialogue is important and should be fostered at Middlebury.

The Amnesty Award goes to the task force charged with implementing the 24-hour locking policy. Despite the fact that a large part of the student body is still upset over the change in locking procedure that will take affect March 28, everyone should give the task force and the commons offices a standing ovation for allowing those who have lost their proximate access cards to receive a replacement card free of charge. If only this could be an annual occurrence... (Note: This year's Campus Darwin Award will go to the student who forgets to pick up their new card and freezes while waiting for someone to open their dorm door). Honorable mention goes to Public Safety officers who stop and open doors for those students who have forgotten their cards.

The Iron Chef Award goes to the chefs at the Atwater dining hall. Weathering the move from one facility to a brand new one, your skills at adapting to your new surroundings do you and your dining hall credit. Students not only make the trek across campus to take in the ambiance at the now-opened dining hall, but they are also drawn by the promise of a sumptuous meal.

Finally, the Clean Sweep Award goes to facilities management for their exceptionally efficient handling of the snow that has blanketed Middlebury. As soon as there is a hint of inclement weather, crews are out shoveling, plowing and spreading dirt over the paths to allow easy passage for both pedestrians and drivers. Considering the quantity of snow that has fallen, sidewalks and roads have been cleared quickly and have presented tardy students with no excuse for their entrance to class 10 minutes after the lecture started. Additionally, the custodial staff deserves honorable mention for their work clearing out the salt, dirt and water that gets tracked in from the snowy outdoors. Their efforts prevent everyone from slipping on muddy floors.