Editorials 2007 Student Government Endorsements

Author: Editorial Board

Nardini for SGA President

Either the job of Student Government Association (SGA) President is terribly undesirable, or lone candidate Max Nardini '08 just breathes fear into the eyes of any prospective competitors. We cannot explain the lack of interest in this year's SGA Presidential campaign, but we have a good feeling that Nardini will be moving into the "oval" office on second floor McCullough next year.

Nardini's platform is built on classic student government planks like vacation bussing and raising student interest in the SGA, as well as more inspired goals such as making Xanadu a fixture in the Middlebury night life and lobbying for the College's transition to carbon neutrality. The current Wonnacott senator has proven himself as an experienced SGA politician, a smooth candy-wielding campaigner and a tested student leader. But in his campaign he has also demonstrated a nuanced appreciation for the challenges his agenda would face, and the necessity of fostering a strong and interactive relationship with the College President's staff.

We are disappointed that there is no real race for the SGA presidency, and the student apathy this election has exposed is worrisome. Are we too busy? Too stressed? Too polite?

These are questions we hope SGA President Max Nardini will work to answer. We endorse his campaign and look forward to his presidency.

Atyia for Student Co-Chair

Dean Atyia '08.5 is the undeniable maverick in the Student Co-Chair of Community Council competition. The Junior Feb has campaigned on an imaginative platform with little regard for the traditionally defined limitations of Community Council.

Large and unlikely-to-happen student favorites top Atyia's list of proposals, including the re-introduction of a College debit card system for laundry and purchases from campus venders. The centerpiece of Atyia's campaign is a two day concert series to be held on Battell Beach or other inclusive venue. His utopian vision of acts both enjoyed by all and agreeable to the divergent tastes of MCAB and WRMC may be far fetched, but it is creative and original.

More likely to succeed is an effort to accelerate the introduction of all-campus wireless internet. In his two-year stint as a representative on the Community Council, Dean has continually advocated for the installation of a wireless network. He demonstrates a strong grasp of the issue and understands the obstacles at hand, making us confident the initiative could be implemented fully.

Most reassuring to us, however, is Atyia's pledge to challenge the closed-door executive sessions through which Community Council has sometimes hidden important recommendations to President of the College Ronald D. Liebowitz. Many students have little sense of what the Council does, and a renewed commitment to making its work public and accessible is refreshing.

Soft spoken and well-liked by much of the student body, Eric Hoest will prove a formidable opponent to Atyia. But while Hoest is a strong candidate, his lack of direct experience with the Council is a weakness in running to lead an organization with a busy and complicated agenda.

We endorse Dean Atyia for Student Co-Chair of Community Council, and we look forward to those tiki torches on Battell Beach.