Et Tu, Sweatpants? - 2/17/2011

A few months ago, senior Simran Bhalla changed my life with a single text message — the context of which has long since faded with each passing Four Loko. Yet what remains, two simple words emblazoned forever upon my very soul, has made a world of difference: “Man Repeller.”

For those of you with better things to do than troll the internet looking for fashion statements, “The Man Repeller” is a blog run by Leandra Medine, a brilliant, daring and snarky-as-hell 20-something. She’s been featured in New York Magazine, Harpers Bazar, The New York Times, Nylon Magazine, Allure and The Huffington Post, along with several dozen other wonderful publications. Her following has been, rightfully so, explosively on the rise.

But what exactly sets “The Man Repeller” apart from the thousands of other fashion bloggers out there on the interwebz? Well, Medine is not only spot-on in predicting the wearable weather, but she also very bluntly calls it how it is: fashion is not meant to be sexy. Innovative styles are easy to criticize, widely disavowed and inherently, well, man-repellant.

This fact is contingent on the constantly proven, sweeping generalization that most men like their clothes comfortable, attractive and simple. Women? Well look at high heels and skinny jeans and tell me if we flock to comfortable and rational; there is an obvious gender divide when it comes to the ways of the cloth.

And so were born Medine’s “Man Repellers,” adventurous, outspoken girls who don’t put getting laid at the forefront of their ‘going out’-fits. These girls’ insatiable passion for feeling authentic outweighs thoughts of acceptance or convention; they are forerunners in the revolution against normalcy. They are pro-you, me and everyone we know being themselves, even if that means layering flannel plaid and leopard print.

Yet the concept of man-repelling isn’t exactly a new one. Un-sexiness has always been at the very heart of designer fashion. How many times have you looked at magazine photos from any given Fashion Week and cringed with: “Who in God’s name would ever wear any of this crap? She looks like a (choose one) homeless person/mental patient/circus freak!” But clearly there are people out there who do buy the see through plastic bag and duct tape dresses — some take those explosions of artistry and tone them down with mainstreaming accessories and well placed slips. However, those so-called “Man-Repellers” run with the energy and theatricality of the runway; they are the Lady Gagas of the upper middle-class, only with less raw meat.

Only on “The Man Repeller” will you be encouraged to wear multiple watches on the same arm, steal your brother’s bow-ties or turn a red flannel blanket into a shawl. Medine will ask you to channel the dress codes of Disney characters, Pee-Wee Herman and, quite frequently, the subtext of a Georgia O’Keefe painting (she has recurring postings on clothes that look like, well, lady parts).

So the next time you’re thinking about Facebook stalking your ex-boyfriend, Sporcle-ing or relapsing into MiddConfessional, go “repelling” instead. You wont be disappointed. It’s what I’m doing in Cape Town International airport while airing for a flight to Kuala Lumpur (how shi-shi of me, I know).

Yes, I’ve gone and graduated, and so it is with great sadness I leave you all into the well-trained hands of fashion bloggers everywhere. Keep breaking rules and wearing things that will get you made fun of. After all, what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. Who would want to be boring and normal, anyhow? Not me.

XO Mary-Cait